cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dutcavi
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

OK button won't dismiss the Software Update Dialog box

After a recent upgrade, when McAfee finishes an update, a dialog box comes up stating the Update is complete. Clicking on the OK button does not work. The only way to get rid of the dialog box is to restart the PC. I am running XP with SP3. Are there any fixes for this? I searched the support web site and this site and did not find any information.

3 Replies
kumar_B
Former Member
Message 2 of 4

Re: OK button won't dismiss the Software Update Dialog box

Hi Denny Dutcavich

if u r using mcafee home edition just follow the below mentioned steps:

Before proceeding further could u pls tell me what is the operating system u hav is it (windows xp , vista or windows 7 ) what is the internet connection it is (dsl ,cable wireless ).

do you have the right date  & time  at the lower right corner of the computer screen ( double click date & time and correct it if they are incorrect and click apply & ok ). also could u pls  find whther u hav any other 3rd party antivirus security program apart from mcafee in the system (to check for 3rd party security just check the following:  go to start > control panel > double click add or remove programs (for xp ) 

go to start > controlpanel > double click Programs & features (for vista & windows 7) ). if u hav any 3rd party secuerity  just remove ithem .

also try running mcafee virtual technician which is available at the very top of this page under useful links  .    

mcafee virtual technician will scan for any mcafee issues  and will try to fix it also it will  provide with a session id .

dutcavi
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the help, but none of it worked. I am using the home edition and on Windows XP Professional SP3. I am connected to the Internet via a wire to my otherwise WiFi router. The time and date were correct. I removed SpyBot, but it hadn't been run in well over a year (and it was not running in background). The Virtual Technician found three errors. Two were registry and one was the DAT file out of date. I had all three errors fixed. Once it updated the DAT file the SoftWare Updated dialog popped up (I am looking at it as I type)/ And I can not dismiss it with the OK button. The button is recognized as an action button sincd the cursor changes to a finger when I fly over it.

kumar_B
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

if ur issue is still not solved just go to start > controlpanel > add or  programs > remove mcafee and run the mcafee removal tool which is available at the very top of the page under " useful links " . run mcafee removal tool  and restart your computer andthen go to your mcafee account and download the mcafee product directly  install it  and ur issue will be resolved .

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community