cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kit-kat
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Not impressed - spent the whole weekend fixing my PC broken by McAfee

as a long standing customer (6 years) I am very disappointed and disturbed that a Product I purchased from you to protect my PC has resulted in corruption of the PC after you sent an update file on Friday/Saturday 24/25 August 2012.

after much searching for a customer service e-mail address I found this:

'Total Satisfaction Promise

We are committed to your complete satisfaction. If you are unhappy with your McAfee Support Experience, please submit a case online to our Executive Escalations Team and let us make things right. We will take ownership of your problem until it is resolved. That's the McAfee promise!'

BUT THE LINK TO THE Executive Escalations Team DOES NOT WORK!!!

As noted from your web site:

'McAfee Update

McAfee has updated a file that has caused issues with McAfee antivirus products and disruption to some customers' Internet service, for more information go here'

This resulted in me spending some 12 hours to rectify the problems (not being able to connect to the Internet I had to try many things before I could connect and only then found out about your serious error!) only to find out when I eventually was able to connect to the internet that it was caused by you. The problems are still not fully rectified so I still have further work to do.

Problems ecountered:

Unable to connect to the Interent (windows XP)

McAfee unable to perorm updates

CD/DVD driver corrupted.

IE 8 corrupted (unable to display menu bar or use 'internet options' from control panel).

Work done in attempts to rectify:

Full diagonostics

Fully reset router

Reconfiguer wireless settings

Renew wireless driver

Eventual resolution:

Used window system restore to rol back to last know working point - at that stage I was able to connect to the internet only to find the issue had been caused by - reason for going to your site was bcause McAfee could still not update, it was also at this point that IE 8 started having the above issue.

Used system restore to get back to current situation, uninstalled and re-installed McAfee - still ptoblems with IE 8 and CD driver

Uninstalled IE 8 - now on IE 7 and that seems to work OK

Still having problems fixing the CD DVD driver

I ma very unhappy at the amount of time and effort I have had to spend to sort this and feel very sorry for anybody facing this issue that has not got the same PC knowledge as myself.

I would seriusly need to re-consider renewing my subscription with you in May 2013.

12 Replies
mlisa40
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Not impressed - spent the whole weekend fixing my PC broken by McAfee

I have had the same problem and lost 2 days of time and phone calls to my internet provider "Comcast" , who found nothing wrong with with service and referred me to contact my router "Netgear" who I ended up buying service coverage to resolve this issue to only find out in the end that it was all because of McAfee corrupted update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! McAfee online help would not do anything other than say they resolved the problem and for me to reinstall and get the update...... No Way AM I GOING TO STAY WITH THIS COMPANY WHEN THEY NEW WHAT THEY DID AND DID NOTHING TO NOTIFY US PAYING CUSTOMERS FOR THEIR MESS THAT TOTALLY DISRUPTED OUR LIVES AND CAUSED ADDITIONAL MONETARY PROBLEMS!!!!!!! CANCELLED................ CANCELLED...... CANCELLLED..... I AM GOING WITH AVAST

uncaballaii
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

(It seems that we are many)

To everybody,

I am extremely disappointed by this McAfee failing.

I spent the whole weekend at home without Internet connection, bothering once and once again myself and by phone or other Internet connection people from my ISP company asking for a solution to my lack of connection. Of course, unsuccessfully.

It was by a chance that today a near me person read the notice in McAfee page.

Who is going "to pay" for the many hours lost along the weekend? Think that a simple e-mail to ALL McAfee subscribers would have stopped the time losing.

Be sure, I will think less than twice not to renew my McAfee subscription when the time is due.

UnCaballa II

bruce89103
Former Member
Message 4 of 13

Not sure if I had the same issue, but after returning from a long weekend I turned my computer on (Sun, 26-Aug) and everything worked fine.  Today, (early morning, Mon, 27-Aug) I was unable to connect to the internet  (The send and receive lights on the modem wouldn't even blink).  I use Cox Cable and this evening I tried again and still no service so I called Cox up.   I received an automated message after selecting high speed internet help stating that customers with McAfee Security Suite would need to uninstall McAfee and re-Install the program.  I went through the process and internet is working fine now.  Kudos to Cox for the message.  Downside is when I actually spoke to the live help the lady wasn't aware of the message but mentioned there was a conflict between windows and McAfee last week.

I have had a few issues with McAfee over the years including-

A- A rogue malware security program loaded and I had to wipe the hard drive,

B- An issue with Netguard that caused lockups requiring me to shut that feature off for about a month or so,

C- An issue with Site Advisor causing window warnings about web sites attempting to use areas of computer memory that they shouldn't (not a website issue but a McAfee issue).  Required me to disable that Explorer add-on for about a month

Overall, I have had acceptable (not excellent) results with McAfee but it is included with Cox.  FYI, Consumer Reports rates McAfee somewhat in the middle of the pack. 

baldrick
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

I too am unimpressed.

The bad DAT6807 update was bad enough in its effect of blocking access and the fact that the fault wasn't readily evident. I'd checked and tried several fixes for the more usual culprits (down to netsh and checking the winsock subheaders), but what really annoyed me is that there was no forthcoming email notification for more than five days. Having to remove and do a reinstall has brightened my mood none also. I think they dropped the ball big-time on this.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 13

Email would only work if you had an online account and checked it on another PC not affected. OK we asked Mcafee about this and the thoughts we and you all expresed are being thought over so next time if there is an issue they have warnings better signposted.

I suppose restoring back to the day previous did not help? This some thing we mods have been trying to get implemented that Mcafee makes a restore point before each patch/dat.

baldrick
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

"Email would only work if you had an online account and checked it on another PC not affected" - Yes, that is my situation and the email that was eventually sent is how I knew what the problem was. While I agree it wouldn't be helpful to all, I do think that when things hit the fan, as they have, it is a good idea to use what ever tools may be available to potentially notify customers and at least reduce some of the impact across the customer population.

" This some thing we mods have been trying to get implemented that Mcafee makes a restore point before each patch/dat." - now there's some good thinking. Something like that could cover weaknesses such as the current event. I hope that point can be pressed hard. It's possibly to late for the likes of affected and disgruntled customers such as myself. If I were to think that McAfee is dismissive of taking immediate and serious action over this event it would confirm that. While no ware is infallible, this event will have had a huge negative impact on McAfee's reputation. I know my regard has plummeted and I doubt I was as badly affected as many of the others I've read about here.

ericaarae
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

I too spent hours trying to fix this problem & am absolutely disgusted with McAfee for the cavalier way they have treated their customers over it. It seems from other discussions on this forum that some people have received emails today telling them about the issue - days after it first happened. I've not received any such email despite being signed up for regular newsletters - they know who their customers are, why have they not informed everyone of this straight away & provided proper, easy instructions for fixing? If you are not computer-savvy you should not expect to have to do so much of the work yourself, especially for a problem of their making in the first place. I shall NOT be renewing my subscription when it expires in December.

Due to my own diligence & determination I now have a working computer with updated anti-virus back up & running. However my normal desktop & Internet browser have changed to a white display that I cannot get back to normal. If anyone has any ideas that would help I'd be grateful as I hung on for 20 minutes for live chat with tech support yesterday before giving up, Thanks!

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 13

Not knowing what you did to get back up makes it a tad hard to figure out what caused the white screen.Try restoring back to before the issue and then run MVT. Might undo what you did to cause this. So far I for 1 have not seen this happen.

joanna2z
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

I spent 12 hours yesterday trying to fix my  PC and discovered it was a problem with McAfee failure to protect my PC.Then I called 'tech support' and was told I had to pay 319.00 for a new 'network firewall' that was part of the patch I needed to reinstall my W7 OS.

I reopened the computer in Safe Mode ( hit the f8 button repeatedly until black screen opened, then seleceted Debug, ran it for over an hour. Once the home screen opened, I uninstalled McAfee, installed VIPRE, and called my credit card co. to block any and all charges from McAfee/affiliates.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community