Did you mean: 
GWE
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

New version is SLOW

I have been experiencing the following since the update to the new version:

• On bit torrent the mcshield takes 80% of the computer resources
  • Somewhat randomly the amount of resources mcshield takes jumps to 90%

This never used to be a problem.  IMO you fixed something that was not broken and now caused new unecessary issues.

I have set mcaffee to use as little resources as possible and it is still a hog.

Any ideas???

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: New version is SLOW

I guess a lot depends on what exactly you are downloading and where you are downloading it from.  If it's a huge compressed file for instance, VirusScan will spend a lot of energy checking it out.

You could make sure that the bit torrent client has Full permission in Firewall > Internet Connections for Programs and you may need to play around with Ports and System Services also in that area.

If it continues you are best advised to contact Technical Support directly via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.  It's free by phone or online chat.

GWE
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the quick reply!

I was comparing the new version to the old version which did not cause these speed issues.  It is only since I upgraded to the new version a couple of days ago that I noticed the issue.

Different topic--What is the difference between the old/new versions besides a different GUI?

Really different topic:  My cable/internet provider (Time Warner) now offers Mcaffee for free to subscribers.   Is this the same McAfee I have previously been paying for?  and can I download the time warner free version when my paid subscription runs out in March?

see link to see the free offer:

http://corp-mail.timewarnercable.com/Portal/content/corp/acq/2012/11November/14369_McAfee_Product_Fi...

Message was edited by: GWE on 1/5/13 4:15:13 PM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

It updates differently - no longer uses DAT's, which means it can no longer be updated manually by downloading DAT's or Engine files from the McAfee download centre.  That will eventually be sorted out apparently.  Some aspects of it are different like the Vulnerability Scanner but mostly it's cosmetic change.  They don't really give us the technical insight on these changes I'm afraid.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community