Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 11 of 14

Re: Riding the snail

One last thing! After you run MVT, make sure you post your results and your Session ID here.

Chiron
Former Member
Message 12 of 14

Hi April, thank you for taking so much trouble for us!

It's way past bedtime here, so I'll do my best to keep it short.

1. Yes, or at least that's not high on the list of priorities. Still it would be nice to know clearly whether one license covers one computer or rather one operating system.

2. Even a response from a cold body would do (just a figure of speech, of course - you know how damn hot hard disks and CPUs can get? ). The message, though unpleasantly impersonal, would be anyway "your words didn't get lost in the wind".

3. Sure, it's quite normal for the AV to prompt to update the signature files on a regular basis. It's when it does it on an irregular basis that one starts wondering why.

I'll follow your suggestion and run the Virtual Tech on both machines, though I sort of suspect that finding more than one OS gets it a little confused.

4. We are both running McAfee, same version, same all. That's why I'm worrying : does it find false positives on one side or false negatives on the other?

I'd never expect two different clocks to show exactly the same time, but if the same clock started telling you two different times according to where you read it from, you'd start worrying too.

Be sure I'll post here whatever potentially useful info I may run into - if maybe not tonight, for here it's already tomorrow since about half-an-hour. Yaaawn...

Thanks a lot again! And good night

ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 13 of 14

Hi Chiron,

Any update on your situation? I hoping you'll say that you ran MVT and this resolved everything!

I've gotten some feedback internally about the product licensing as it relates to multiple OSes: If a computer is running our Consumer software on the physical OS, a VM running on that same OS can install the same product without having to pay for another license. Ditto if you are running multiple physical OSes on the same computer.

Also, regarding your malware submission, you should have gotten a response if sent by email unless you sent it through the program itself. You can also use https://www.webimmune.net/, which gives you an analysis ID on the screen.

Chiron
Former Member
Message 14 of 14

Hi April,

thank you for asking. Unfortunately I could give Virtual Tech only one opportunity (that for some reason went awry) before being swallowed by some heavy work problems that wouldn't leave me time enough for a second serious try 😞

I reckon with diving back into the problem as soon as I have time enough to turn on my computer at home ; turned-off computers are automatically protected against any possible threat (except perhaps an earthquake)  🙂

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community