cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cougar166
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

My Mcafee Antivirus Plus 2012 software cannot auto update but my auto update settings is set to on.

I am facing a problem with my Mcafee anti virus plus 2012 software recently.

When I just started the windows (I am using Windows Vista 64 bit for my PC) or at an interval of around 2 hours the software would pop up a message stating that my computer is at risk in which the software cannot perform auto update and ask me to check my internet connection (in which my computer is connected to internet all times long) and I have to perform the auto update manually even through my auto update settings have been set to 'on' all the times.

I would like to know how to solve this issue? Thank you very much for your help.

Message was edited by: cougar166 on 1/17/12 8:17:53 AM CST
9 Replies
newjack
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

Re: My Mcafee Antivirus Plus 2012 software cannot auto update but my auto update settings is set to on.

There have been ongoing Issues on occasion with the updates.You could try to run Mcafee virtual Technician (MVT) to see if all componants are in place.At the top of this page under useful links,Then Tech support.Then on the left you can download and run.See if it says anything.Are you running a separate user (standard account) from Administrator account.I have had some problems in the past with Mcafee updating also.At times If i was logged in as standard user it would not update.But if I switched over to AdMin account all of the sudden Mcafee would update as soon as a logged in.

Message was edited by: newjack on 1/17/12 11:49:17 AM EST
cougar166
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Re: My Mcafee Antivirus Plus 2012 software cannot auto update but my auto update settings is set to on.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have just run Mcafee Virtual Technician and found out that there is 1 missing/corrupt component and accroding to the problem log there is 1 conponent incorrect under the 'COM' section.

It mentioned:

Expected COM conponent file path not present

McaFee saupkeep {21cbfec0-e728-420c-b4a4-a58ad2089ada} c:\program files (X86)\mcafee\siteadvisor\sasubmgr.dll

Also, I have checked that my anti virus was last updated on 4 January 2012 which seems impossible to have no updates for the past few weeks.

I wonder what should I do next.

newjack
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

To be honest with you I have been checking It myself.To make sure it is has updated.It is hit and miss.Sometimes mine has updated sometimes not for 2 days.I  will then right click the Icon in the task bar & then check for updates.I also keep a version Of MVT handy.Not sure that helps you much.Hopefully yours will update Auto every day.Mine will not on Occasion.Maybe someone else has another suggestion.

tyomni
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

I've seen virus thet infects the svchost.exe and blocks the update traffics for all types of antiviruses, but I've guess this is not that case.

newjack
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Tyommi, I doubt it is a virus.Although anything is possible.The updating problem has been going on for a long time.It comes & goes.If you type a search in the forums you will see many.

ajithonline
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Try to update manually after clearing temperory files and cookies.

newjack
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

This has mothing to do with temp files.Although you can give it a whirl.This is an ongoing Issue that has never been fully fixed.There are many Posts on the forums.The ongoing Issues  also Included to scheduled scan at 1 time also.I do not keep any of that suff on ny computer.This does not fix the Issue.As you can see here.The day this person had Posted.I had responded.Since then though,I have yet to recieve an Auto update.If I don`t do It manually I would almost bet It probably wont update Itself.So I have to do It Myself.See Image below.

update.JPG

cougar166
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

just an update on this issue.

the problems was being solved at the end of january when the anti virus software is able to auto update itself and the message does not pop up anymore but today this problem comes again!

i wonder what is happening

newjack
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

Cougar166,Just curious.Do you have a separate standard acount you work with & separate Administrator account.Because I know on my PC I do.Sometimes if I go into the Admin account Mcafee will update on It`s own.If that Makes sense.IT has not worked properly on My machine for a while.I have to constantl check that it is up to date.The way that seems to work best is to right click the Mcafee Icon in task bar then click -check for updates.Sorry I can`t offer more.Maybe someone with more knowledge as to why Mcafee only updates sometimes will figure it out.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community