cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xfanny
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

My McAfee Total Protection is very unstable.

Jump to solution

Hi,

I recently bought a McAfee Total Protection 2015 for my home PC. The first time I installed it, it didn't recognize my subscription even though I had already gotten it done online. I installed it from the CD-rom though, and technical support suggested I download and install it from the website. So I uninstalled and reinstalled. Then all was good.

The following day, I got a blue screen after only turning on my PC for less than an hour. I'm not sure what caused it, but since installing this was the only thing I did the previous day, I'm thinking it might have caused the blue screen. Hence I restarted my PC, and then, the antivirus software kept turning the real-time scanning off. I clicked it on, and it turned itself off immediately after. It also failed to recognize my subscription again, like the first time I installed it, and kept telling me to set it up. So I restarted my PC again, but the issues didn't go away.

I then uninstalled it from my Control Panel, downloaded from McAfee's website under my account again, and tried reinstalling it. However it kept failing, telling me to check if I'm connected to the Internet, or it might be McAfee's server problem. All of these times, I was wirelessly connected to the Internet. Technical support emphasized that McAfee runs on high speed internet connection, so I had to find a LAN cable to connect my PC to my broadband. I did, and successfully reinstalled after 2 tries.

But this is not really a solution to me, to always sit beside my broadband and connect myself to it with a LAN cable. It is highly inconvenient for me. I did not pay to get an antivirus software, yet being taken away the privilege of connecting wirelessly to the internet. I'm not sure if the issues above will return again, but I liked to know why they happen so I can prevent them in future.

Is this due to any compatibility issues? I'm running a Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit), and my Internet Explorer is at version 9, the latest browser for Windows Vista (according to Microsoft).

Please do advise and help. This issue has wasted too much of my time. Thank you in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
xfanny
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Re: Re: My McAfee Total Protection is very unstable.

Jump to solution

Hi Selvan,

I apologize for the delay in response, I had no internet access as I was out of town.

I did not reinstall as the antivirus software has since been performing well. There was no need to do so.

Thank you to Ex_Brit for the advices. It has been taken note of.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Re: My McAfee Total Protection is very unstable.

Jump to solution

Is your Vista totally up to date, including Internet Explorer, even if you don't ever user it, McAfee does in the background?

Did you remove any previous security software completely and use the removal tool if applicable, before attempting this installation?

Outlined here for McAfee software:  How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool

If that doesn't help, Technical Support is free of charge by phone or online chat and if they can't immediately help you can ask them to escalate the issue upwards.

(Link below)

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

xfanny
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Hello Ex_Brit,

Since Windows did not prompt me for any updates, I assume it is at its latest. I've also checked with Microsoft (as mentioned above) that my IE is up to date.

Yes I've removed my previous security software via my Control Panel. I did not use that removal tool because I had no idea it existed.

Before posting here, I'd already contacted technical support. One of the technicians used remote access to try to find the issue for me, however he insisted I get connected to my router with a network cable because my internet speed wasn't up to standard. It wasn't convenient for me to do so at the moment, thus I proceeded on with his instructions after ending the chat session with him. All these happened before I got the blue screen.

Just to give an update, the antivirus software is now doing a scan on my computer without my command. It has been stable today, real-time scanning is continuously on, and my subscription is active. I really hope it stays this way all the way.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

It will do a scan if you told WebAdvisor/SiteAdvisor to fix something...maybe that caused the scan.

I think a complete uninstall, reboot, use the tool, reboot, then reinstall, might be the best here.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Hope that your issue has been addressed. Please confirm status.

xfanny
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi Selvan,

I apologize for the delay in response, I had no internet access as I was out of town.

I did not reinstall as the antivirus software has since been performing well. There was no need to do so.

Thank you to Ex_Brit for the advices. It has been taken note of.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Glad you are OK now 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community