Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaelpzachari
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

My Backup Program is 60x slower when it uses Volume Shadow Copy for open files

Hi

With MxAfee Internet Security and Windows 8.1, I have the following issue for the last 5 months. I use a professional backup program called Genie Backup Manager Pro (www.genie9.com). Its latest version has an option that will allow backing up of open files. It uses Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to achieve this. When I enable this, my backup of about 1GB goes from about 8 minutes to 8+ hours. If I turn off McAfee Real Time Scanning, my backups go back to the regular 8 minutes. This seems to indicate a serious conflict with Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service and Real Time Scanning. Turning either one off resolves the extreme slowness. I have had McAfee technical support take over my machine about 5 times in a two week period. Had escelated support take a look and nothing had been resolved for quite some time so I asked them to just close the file. None of the last several months of Internet Security updates have resolved the conflict. I even reformatted my hard drive and installed only the OS and the backup software so that nothing else should interfere when technicians take over the PC. Has anyone else experienced this issue with backups that use VSS to backup open files and Real Time Scanning? Suggestions? Thanks in Advance.

Mike

9 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: My Backup Program is 60x slower when it uses Volume Shadow Copy for open files

Do you have any of the support id numbers from any of the times that support was trying to assist? This will help the tech who monitors this forum to research what has been done thus far in an attempt to solve your issue.

michaelpzachari
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Re: My Backup Program is 60x slower when it uses Volume Shadow Copy for open files

Thank you for the reply Tom. Unfortunately I did not keep any of those. I could check to see if I have any emails backed up from last November but will not be able to do so for about a day. As far as I can recall, they essentially just would have me run a filechecker utility every few days when they would take over the PC.

Message was edited by: michaelpzacharias on 3/24/14 10:07:40 PM CDT
SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

What was the response from Genie9 when you asked them if they had problems with McAfee?

michaelpzachari
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Hi Safeboot

The response is below:

Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting the Technical Support team at Genie9.

Regarding to your concern; this happens due to the fact that anti-virus programs such as McAfee will keep scanning each file that gets moved around, which will slow the backup tremendously.

This issue have been forwarded to the developers, and they are investigating it. We hope that it will get addressed in the next version of GBM.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

It might be best to wait to see what Genie9 come up with then. I can't see an easy solution though - if a new file appears, it takes a finite amount of time to identify it, even if we recognise it's a file we already scanned and skip the analysis.

michaelpzachari
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

I'm just not sure who's end it would be on. It could be on their end, on your end, or even an issue with Microsoft's Volume Shadow Copy Service. I was just curious if someone else has experienced the same kind of 60-fold slowdown. I can see maybee 2 or 3 times slower but not 60 times slower. Seems a bit high.

michaelpzachari
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Followup: The issue may be OS/Hardware related. I have loaded the trial version of Genie Backup Manager on a laptop with Windows 8.1. It has no issues when configured to back up open files using volume shadow copy service and McAfee Real Time Scanning turned on. Very strange that a "clean" reformatted PC with nothing on it would have an issue.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 10

Hi Michael,

In Support here we haven't came across this issue where McAfee RTS causing Performance issues with VSS. However it seems to be an issue with the BackUp Program itself where you mentioned the Trial Software is working fine without any issues. Will have a close watch and post back if I come across a similar Issue.

michaelpzacharias wrote:

Followup: The issue may be OS/Hardware related. I have loaded the trial version of Genie Backup Manager on a laptop with Windows 8.1. It has no issues when configured to back up open files using volume shadow copy service and McAfee Real Time Scanning turned on. Very strange that a "clean" reformatted PC with nothing on it would have an issue.

michaelpzachari
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Thank you for the response Chinthanai. I tried the backup software on a Vista Machine that is also running McAfee. Everything backed up fine with configuration for open file backup. (The reason I say trial software is that I just did not enter my product key and accepted the trial period on the other computers where I installed the backup software. The software versions are the same.) The problem appears machine specific. Very odd as the computer in question is essentially a "clean" machine. However turning off real time scanning does solve the issue. I really like both the Genie9 Backup software and McAfee Internet Security. Too bad there is a conflict somewhere. I am now thinking it may be a hardware driver or something along those lines. It is not a major issue for me but would be nice to solve.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community