Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maternus
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Mozilla Thunderbird "Not Responding" when Deleting Email

Jump to solution

My wife and I have virtually identical environments: Dell XPS desktops running Windows 8.1 with pre-installed 1-year-free McAfee LiveSafe - Internet Security via Dell XPS. We also both have (manually installed) Mozilla Thunderbird 24.6.0, and Norton Internet Security. I have a few more applications (like Microsoft Office 2010 and TurboTax) than she does, but both of our environments are pretty vanilla. Starting about 2 months ago we both began to have a problem when deleting emails: the first one deletes fine, but after that each one freezes Thunderbird for 3 to 10 seconds. Annoying but not devastating. But in the last two weeks Thunderbird performance on my wife's PC (but not mine) has begun to seriously degrade. Frequently, Delete hangs and then returns "Warning: Unresponsive script / A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, / or you can continue to see if the script will complete / script: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindow.js:179". 

After reading the discussions  in the Mozilla and McAfee communities, I've changed the McAfee settings to (1) scan documents and programs, not everything and (2) Minimize the effect on my PC's speed. This helped for a day or two, and then my wife's PC got worse than ever. I'm reluctant to tell McAfee to stop scanning attachments.  But the community discussions are a little old. Is there a permanent solution yet? Or should I just uninstall McAfee and rely on Norton?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 8

Re: Mozilla Thunderbird "Not Responding" when Deleting Email

Jump to solution

Thunderbird will not work well with McAfee this issue has been bug reported and they are looking into it. The Workaroumd is to disable scanning of email attachments.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

The very first thing you should do is (Uninstall ) Norton Internet Security. Remove first from your Control Panel/Restart. Then use their Product Removal Tool to remove all remnants. One should never use (2) active Anti-Virus Applications at once.

They Conflict/Clash with one another, and even can leave you vulnerable to infections.

Uninstall your Norton product using Norton Removal Tool

Hopefully by having both installed together, it has not corrupted your Livesafe Installation. Please try the suggestions above,and post back your results.

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Consumer products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

If by chance running both at the same time, you may need to do a Clean/Uninstall/Reinstall of your Livesafe Subscription. Follow the Guidelines/Instructions from this Link Please:How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...

I Might add that when you (Allow Anonymous information to be sent to McAfee) It Automatically installs features such as Safekey,where normally you would have to do manually.

Should you need further assistance,Technical Support is available 24/7 (Free) Via Phone/Chat much quicker.

All the very best,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

As for the (Thunderbird) issues, this may be an entirely different issue which may still need to be addressed. However, by running (1) Active Anti-Virus will definitely help. I am actually surprised you have been able to operate your computer so far, with both Anti-Virus Apps installed.

So I recommend following the above suggestions first, and should you still experience difficulty, please post back for assistance. For there are Fellow Moderators whom elect to use Firefox themselves.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Thunderbird will not work well with McAfee this issue has been bug reported and they are looking into it. The Workaroumd is to disable scanning of email attachments.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi

We are looking for Volunteers to help us with logs to be collected from your machine for proceeding further in this Issue. Please let know if you are available for a Support Session so as to progress in this case.

Thanks in Advance..!

maternus
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks to Peacekeeper's suggestion, I fixed the problem on the morning of November 3 by changing the real time scan setting to NOT scan attachments. If the problem recurs, I intend to uninstall McAfee and rely on Norton, which I have used successfully for 10 years. However, I will be happy to send logs if you or someone else can tell me how to find them; I prefer not to allow remote access unless there is a critical problem.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

My workaround  is that a temp fix. They would need remote access to get the logs they need

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community