cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JerryO
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Mcafee update caused computer to run slow

My son's computer is running Win Xp Sp3 and all latest up dates. McAfee just recently updated and now he has now Icon in the service tray or when you go to look for it in the programs it is there but when you click on it it won't open. It has also caused the entire computer to run really really slow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: Mcafee update caused computer to run slow

Sometimes when an update has been done the computer will ususlly prompt you to reboot and sometimes it will not prompt you to reboot. I have always made it a habit to reboot anyway and have not experienced any slowness on my XP machine. Try to reboot and see if any change occurs.

You could also try to run the McAfee Virtual Technician found at the top of this page under Useful links in the Technical Support link. MVT will scan your computer for any McAfee related issues and if it finds any it will attempt to fix them.

Let us know if this resolves anything for you.

JerryO
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: Mcafee update caused computer to run slow

I have tried to run MVT (McAfee Virtual Technician) and it won't even load. We have shutdown and restarted several times. I have also went and did a  system restore to back to a time when I thought he had know problems and no matter what McAfee will show up on the task bar at the bottom and as soon as you double click on the shield icon it goes away but nothing happens. I go to "programs" find McAfee on Security Center and absolutely nothing happens. I even went as far as to remove the program, using control panel and remove program steps, restarted the computer after it said everything was gone, went to McAfee "my account" reinstalled McAfee (which doesn't expire until 8-2011)  and it says it has reinstalled and needs to restart and I say okay restart. When it comes back up the shield icon is in the task bar, I click on it and it disappears but nothing happens. I then try to go to "programs" under "START" and it is there I click on it and nothing and I mean nothing happens. I have been a friend and loyal customer of McAfee for over thirteen years but this is getting real old and my son is in college and this is not helping him at all. Beside not knowing if we even have McAfee protection the new upgrade has really affected the total operation of his computer and I would really like to find out why!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community