zeta
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Mcafee stopped working when it expired.

Hello McAfee community

Mcafee stopped working when it expired.

my os = Xp office with sp3

browser = firefox/IE7

Internet security = 3-User McAfee Internet Security.

I did not renew it.

I boughta new McAfee Internet Security 2011 online

and currently waiting for the CD to arrive.

Why can't I manually scan my Mcafee internet security because it expired?

I can understand there are NO Latest anti-virus updates but at least

Internet security stuff and manual scanning SHOULD Work.

Is this normal?

Does it happen to anyone else as well?

Thank you for reading.

Look forward to your reply

Kind regards,

Zeta

6 Replies
newjack
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: Mcafee stopped working when it expired.

I am not sure.But my guess is that you cant run a scan if it is expired.There is another thread here that is similir.

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/30381

What I would do is remove it until you can activate your new subscription.If you do this make sure to remove from the uninstall section of computer.But first download the MCPR tool located at the top of this page under useful links.After you uninstall run the MCPR tool and reboot.I would also download 1 of the free antivirus programs until you recieve Mcafee.You can get 1 from filehippo.com

Microsoft security essentials or avast are not bad free programs.You can download a free program from here until the Cd arrives.

http://www.filehippo.com/software/antimalware/    most are free.A couple are trials.But that should hold you until the CD arrives

Message was edited by: newjack on 3/20/11 11:13:45 AM EDT
zeta
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Hi newjack,

thanks for replying.

Yes I am waiting for the McAfee Internet Security 2011 CD.

Mcafee should NOT in any circumstances

STOP the basic internet security.

I understand about no Anti-virus update due to expired program

but I wish I can still use:

PC optimazation

configuring firewall

Now all is GONE...completely unusable my current McAfee Internet Security 2010

Newjack will see, what I can do

Thanks for the advise.

newjack
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

You should also open up your firewall and see if The windows firewall is enabled.Not sure if the whole Mcafee package becomes obsolete.As a precaution make sure your firewall is enabled.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Newjack is correct.  Your McAfee software only works as long as your subscription lasts.   You should uninstall it completely and use the cleanup tool (MCPR) listed under Useful Links at the top of this page to cleanup remnants of it.

A reboot will be necessary before installing anything else.

Use one of the protection software suggestions he mentioned until such time as your CD arrives.

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

If you purchased your software online from McAfee and you have created an online account with them you should be able to login to your account and download the software right now. Are you sure the cd you are waiting delivery on is directly from McAfee or is it from a retail company that sell software for computers?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Yes I'm sorry, k3tg is correct.  If you renewed online with McAfee and opted to have the CD sent then your online account should remain active so you can always re-download.  If you changed the package in any way though, it would be best to uninstall and reinstall.

If you have any questions about the subscription you can phone toll-free to Customer Service:

Telephone Customer Service

To speak with a Customer Service representative, call 020 79490107. You may be asked for your registered email address and order number. Telephone charges may apply.
Estimated wait time: 10-30 minutes
Hours of Operation: 09.00-18.00 local, Monday through Friday

We are currently experiencing high call volumes, resulting in high hold times in the queue. We apologize for this inconvenience; customers will be answered in the order received.

You can also use their online chat - see Usel Links above.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/03/11 8:15:02 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community