Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RPH
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Mcafee Won't Update - Host File ?

Hi,

I have been encountering this problem so I re-installed Mcafee and it worked for about a week however I am now encountering the same problem again.

Could someone please give me the latest host file contents and any other suggestions to check if the connection between my pc and mcafee is actually working.....

Thanks

7 Replies
flogger
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

Re: Mcafee Won't Update - Host File ?

You only need to update the host files if there is a change on domain/IP on mcafee's server side. Could you post some logs please?

RPH
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

How/where can I get them ?

Thanks

RPH
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Help, Anyone ?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 8

The queston about the Hosts file is probably a red herring. You don't actually need anything in there except one single entry : "127.0.0.1       localhost".  If you have other entries there then as an experiment copy the existing Hosts file so you have a backup version ("Hosts.sav") then remove all the entries and save the cut-down version as Hosts.

The real question is why McAfee isn't updating. Try the following - may be dependent on your OS :

Open a command window and enter "ping www.mcafee.com" and see if your PC can get a response.

If there's no response enter "ping 127.0.0.1" (a loopback ping) and see if that works. it should.

Assuming you can ping McAfee right-click on the "M" icon in the System Tray, or click on the desktop icon, and select "Check for updates".

If none of this works you may have a malware infection that's blocking access to specified websites, and you'll need to run scans with McAfee and possibly other programs to see if that is the case.

RPH
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Hi,

I tried what you said and the ping works but it still won't update. Mcafee found nothing during scanning. What should I do ?

Thanks

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Please click on Useful links at the top of this page and click Technical support so as you get connected with our technicians who would remote inn to your PC and get this fixed for you .

Thanks,

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 8 of 8

RPH wrote:

Hi,

I tried what you said and the ping works but it still won't update. Mcafee found nothing during scanning. What should I do ?

Thanks

Hi RPH,

Try Updating again. The Servers were down this weekend and on Monday. I had the same problem. I just updated on Tuesday, just fine.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community