Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laurah
Former Member
Message 111 of 132

Re: Mcafee Service Host Error Windows XP

Hi there,

I've been having this same problem for months now. And have already paid for my renewal.  I'm running XP Media Center V2002 SP 3, Pentium 4 CPU 3GHz.

I've run the Virtual Technician, uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee and still this happens every day.

Is there a clear and simple solution to this? I have been reading some suggestions from people obviously more comfortable than I am with digging deep into the system, but I am no slouch either.

Really fed up with this.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

ergojm
Former Member
Message 112 of 132

I don't always get "Service host has encountered..." error message but for the last two weeks I have been losing my internet connection from IE at least two to four times a day and I have to either restart windows OR toggle "off" then "on" Mcafee firewall to be able to reconnect. By process of elimination, I have determined that it's the Mcafee firewall causing the loss of internet connection and it's been a major annoyance for my family to go through the effort multiple times a day of toggling the firewall. I tried turning off Netguard last night as suggested in this discussion community and haven't yet gotten a call from my wife complaining about Mcafee...yet so, this is a good sign!

Are others also having this IE connection issue when the service host quits? I wouldn't mind just an error notification if it didn't take out my browser sessions as well, every day.

---------------------------------------------

Update: Since turning off the Netguard, I haven't had an error or had to restart my IE browser for two days - looks like this temp fix works!!

Message was edited by: ergojm on 5/24/12 7:40:19 AM CDT
coach477
Former Member
Message 113 of 132

I have a xp system which I only use for internet purposes. A few months ago I started receiving "service host error" . which was just a nuisance at the time but

progressed to the point of shutting down my browsers. I thought i had to reboot, which i did for a couple weeks. then i discovered that if i opened the security center and turned off my firewall and waited a few seconds until the red screen came up with the your computer is not protected. I then turned on the firewall and my browser worked. It works for me. Hope it can help someone else.

okanaganfan
Contributor II
Message 114 of 132

Hello coach477, thank you posting the firewall tip!

I will be trying out it today. If it doesn't work for me, I sure hope it proves helpful for some of the other people having these issues. I'll post my results. Hopefully, others will post their results, too.

Have a great day and take good care of you,

Erin

ergojm
Former Member
Message 115 of 132

Update: Since turning off Netguard, I haven't had an error or had to restart my IE browser for two days now - Looks like this temp fix works!!

studiorose
Former Member
Message 116 of 132

Well, my McAfee worries are now over.  I had 61 days left on my subscription, but I just couldn't take it anymore.  Downloaded Bitdefender earlier this afternoon.  High reviews, considerably less expensive, and - BONUS! - my computer no longer sounds like it's trying to achieve escape velocity several times per session.

Good luck to those who stick with this program that's been problematic for six months!

striker-rc4
Former Member
Message 117 of 132

I follow this topic by E Mail. It is a bad few users having problems with McAfee host ... it seems to me that McAfee has not yet found an answer to this problem. McAfee thinks that this problem will pass with the finish XP, but I know that this system will remain in the hands of millions of users, even when Microsoft stops supporting the OS.

It will choose McAfee fix this problem for users of XP or forget the users of the Windows XP operating system.

I think that McAfee stands to lose the attitude to forget XP ...

Correct me if I'm wrong, since there is no exit in sight.

Long live XP

okanaganfan
Contributor II
Message 118 of 132

This is an update regarding coach477's tip to turn McAfee's Firewall 'OFF' and then 'ON'...

coach477 wrote:

I have a xp system which I only use for internet purposes. A few months ago I started receiving "service host error" . which was just a nuisance at the time but

progressed to the point of shutting down my browsers. I thought i had to reboot, which i did for a couple weeks. then i discovered that if i opened the security center and turned off my firewall and waited a few seconds until the red screen came up with the your computer is not protected. I then turned on the firewall and my browser worked. It works for me. Hope it can help someone else.

I did find this a helpful 'workaround' when my internet browser stopped my internet connection while on a web site I happened to be visiting. When my browser indicated it couldn't connect to the internet, I tried coach477's tip, and had a working browser connection again! This is still a pain in the rear, but it is simpler than constantly re-booting the system. I didn't find this worked with the 'service host error' message on my computer,  at least, not yet.

PLEASE NOTE: I suggest using caution if deciding to turn your firewall off and on, in the manner I've described above. I've only used this method when I've been reasonably confident I'm on a safe web site.

My operating system is Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3.

The browser I'm using is Internet Explorer 8.

Anti-virus software program is, obviously, McAfee Internet Security. I have turned 'OFF' the NetGuard in the McAfee program. Which has been suggested by the McAfee techs.

Hope this is helpful for someone. And, thanks for the tip coach477!

Erin

Peacekeeper
Message 119 of 132

OK this thread did not get the update info. The mcsvhost error has a fix waiting to be released first to Au and Ko servers then 1 week later Uk and Us. Mcafee knows the cause and it was not easy but has been fixed so they say. The release of the patch starts very soon.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/05/12 1:21:00 PM
moop1519
Former Member
Message 120 of 132

Well they have a fix !  A little bit late for me as the pop up was coming every 2 to 3 minutes last week. So I called teck support and they took over my computer. After they returned the computer to me it was much worse each time I would close the pop up it would cut me of the Internet .I was on line with Mcafee tech support and they took over my system at least 5 times.

Nothing Worked ! I have written of my payment with McAfee for 2013, Shame really as I used McAfee for many years so I felt they deserved some time to fix the problem. But this past week was to much.

I now have a competitors Internet Security installed and my system is running perfect.

Message was edited by: moop1519 on 5/27/12 8:51:50 PM CDT

Message was edited by: moop1519 on 5/27/12 9:20:40 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community