Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 81 of 132

Re: Mcafee Service Host Error Windows XP

@bpms06,

0x5f540 is the memory address not the error code. The event id is 1000, which is a generic error code and provides little useful information.

This is a very generic error and it doesn't tell much about what caused it. Some applications may fail with this error when the system is left unstable by another faulty program. Usually, a reboot is recommended when this type of error is showing up. If the error is persistent, then one can start digging further (i.e. update the application that is listed in the event), install latest hotfixes, check for viruses and so on.

The module where the error occurs is "mcmscshm.dll", which might be useful for debugging. This is the Security Center Shim Layer DLL, and if (like me) you are not familiar with the term "Shim Layer", see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shim_(computing)

A similar problem has been noted in yet another thread, at https://community.mcafee.com/thread/42375. I will post a reply there notifying the poster that the issue is related to this one.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 23/01/12 23:18:46 GMT
bpms06
Former Member
Message 82 of 132

@ Peacekeeper and @Hayton

OK: I confirm my previous post that Alcohol (an old program that I no longer use), which was incompatible with the latest update of McAfee.(My problem is identical to that of kampolis86 using Vista as my XP).

I do not have these error messages so angry and I'm glad now to find a stable system.

On one side, I understand the anger of some people who suddenly find themselves with an incompatible program. On the other side, I understand the complexity of a software that must manage a very large variety of cases and a multitude of software combinations (between different systems, different software versions, the many existing software, ...). I assume the other competing products must have the same problems sometimes.

I wish good continuation and good luck to the moderators.

keiooz
Contributor
Message 83 of 132

I also have the same issue. I guess I'll just have to wait for the support team's update on this problem.

Peacekeeper
Message 84 of 132

keiooz

Summary to test in case yopu have not done so.

1. Mopier HP printer present?

2. Zumo backup software (hp Cloud software)

3. Try with netguard disabled. It is a firwall setting.

4. Have you alcohol 120% installed

If none above are you willing to have a tech contact you and take logs of mcafee and windows?

This is essential to get this issue moving. Any1 else interested as well?

on 26/01/12 6:18:40 AM
leveler
Contributor
Message 85 of 132

Hi. Alcohol 120% was removed but there is no effect.
generally deplorable situation - I bought a subscription a week ago and already want to get back the money 😞

Peacekeeper
Message 86 of 132

How did you remove it? The word is you may need to remove it via its own uninstall start menu link not via control panel.

I think it would be very strange to have it and an unknown mcsvhost issue but it you are still having the issue call support and ask them to get logs from your mcahine.

azcanuk99
Former Member
Message 87 of 132

Well this is Bull... been months now and still getting the error, and really an obvious lack of concern from any of the support personnel.

I don’t have any of the "other" software (as noted in this thread) loaded, I've been using McAfee for years and never had an issue until one recent update, then all HE_L has broke loose.

Just signed one and GOT THE ABEND AGAIN.. WHEN ARE WE, THE PUBLIC, THE BUYERS OF THIS PRODUCT, GOING TO GET A RESOLVE TO THIS ISSUE.

I'm sure my employer, a BIG user of this product (and who provides it to me), insists I use it on my home machine as it is networked with my work laptop, would be interested in seeing this thread, and the lack of concern for the users of this product. I will be in touch with our Security group to discuss the lack of any fix to this issue and the potential risk to my home network.

Maybe hundreds of thousands of subscription cancellations are just around the corner?

HELLO.. IS ANY BODY OUT THERE!!!!

Peacekeeper
Message 88 of 132

Is your employer providing the home version or enterprise?

So have you disabled Netguard to see if that is the cause? (in firewall settings). Mcsvhost is tied into all Mcafee components so chasing this will be hard. The issue is only some of the customer base is having this and this number is not really large.Does not iimply Mcafee would not be trying to fix it I hear they got logs from 3 PCs. 2 the issue was videa card drivers and 1 the logs were not complete so they are looking for more users with the issue who can work with them.

None of my family's 9 installs show this over several Operating systems and medium level  to high end PCs.

The other cause that is known is HP printer drivers.

Do you know the date of the update?

jeepland
Former Member
Message 89 of 132

Hi new to this forum and.......

I've been using McAfee on my laptop with MS Vista for about two and a half years, this Host Service Error has never appeared.

On my desktop PC running XP I've changed to McAfee about a week ago as it's provided free for a year by my ISP. It  tells me its working fine but once or twice an evening I get the dreaded Host Service Error message. I keep sending the report to MS in the hope that if enough people do this maybe they'll solve it or bring pressure to bear on McAfee to sort it. The McAfee Security Center tells me everything is still fine and dandy but surely it can't be if a component has bombed out and closed down (or does it automatically restart?) The Security Center control panel, like McAfee, seems totally oblivious / uninterested in what's going on. As there doesn't seem to be a fix I'm thinking of raising this with my ISP who provided the AV.

Andy

Peacekeeper
Message 90 of 132

Welcome to the community.

Ok Causes first in case you have not checked the threads

1. Do you have alcohol 120% burning software. If so uninstall it it is not compatible at this time and has been proven to cause mcsvhost and mchost errors.

2. Didable netguard a setting in the firewall settings this affects some users.

3. Do you have a HP mopier printer? If so uninstall the suite software and drivers and recheck. Reinstall the drivers only.

If any do not help you are 1 of some here whom at this time Mcafee do not know the fix. If so can you list what programs you have installed from teh add/remove programs list plesae as I have an XP test box with bare setup waiting to test installing some of the installed software'

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community