Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bisonte
Former Member
Message 61 of 132

Re: Mcafee Service Host Error Windows XP

This is my answer:

Honorable. Gentlemen

I come this way to show my dissatisfaction with your service to Portugal. It's a shame not to have assistance from 09:00 to 17:00 and have a person who barely speaks Portuguese. There are already 15 days to try to solve a problem with my McAfee product. 19/01/2011 Today, I took the day on purpose to address this problem with your technical support, what was my surprise when he said that this was not possible, had to be scheduled another day. Now I work and as such can not always be missing. I wonder why there is no assistance to Portugal after 17:00 and weekends? My ID reporting  is 813293360 .

I have two error messages in my product, the first is: McAfeeHost Service has stopped working and the second is: McAfee synchronization system stopped working. If my problem is not resolved by tomorrow, I see no other alternative but to seek other antivirus vendors. My operating system is Windows XP Professional SP3 and McAfee anti virus is the virus scan plus.Yours

I don´t have an answer  to that. Mcafee has not yet responded to it. I put Avast on XP and I am for us to consider others who have. XP was working without errors and much faster.

Message was edited by: bisonte on 1/21/12 2:50:37 PM CST
bugg
Former Member
Message 62 of 132

Bonsoir,

erreurA mcafee.jpgerreurA mcafee.jpgj'ai exactement les mêmes problèmes, sous xp pro sp3 à jour, mc afee ne réagit pas...

mon abonnement arrive bientôt à expiration, et je ne vais pas pouvoir prolonger un produit qui bug assez d'une fois !!!....

je précise que ça arrive lors des mises à jour ....

same problem under XP Pro SP3 update, McAfee does not react ...

my subscription is expiring soon and I will not be able to extend a product bug rather than once !!!....

I said that it happens during updates ....

newjack
Former Member
Message 63 of 132

Are Most of you these Xp problems occuring Daily? Cause I am Running Windows 7 & have had this occur a few times recently.

Mc host1.JPG

Mchost 2.JPG

Mcagent.JPG

sijil
Contributor
Message 64 of 132

doodle78 : I mean McAfee is not compatible with third party security softwares.  You have to remove other antivirus or anitspyware software before insalling McAfee.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 65 of 132

@newjack, that's the most useful piece of information I've seen so far. I see you posted a screenshot earlier, which I missed.

The common factor in your screenshots is a 0xc5 error, in two of the component parts of McSvHost.

Microsoft identify this as a memory error -

- so something is trying to access memory which is either protected or otherwise unavailable to the program.

0xc0000005 Access Violation

The system returns the Access Violation message when the application attempts to access the location not assigned for its use. The exception 0xc0000005 code usually implies a memory problem. So, 0xc0000005 Access Violation combination informs that the application is trying to use system memory in an improper way.

_0xc0000005-access-violation.jpg'Since modern OS are complex and multitasking, OS manufacturers have to allocate memory to processes. This ensures that different processes are restricted to definite memory locations, which also prevents malware attacks. When an application is trying to use the memory part allocated for different other processes, but not for this one, the system raises the 0xc0000005 Access Violation error and terminates the application.

There is an entire website dedicated to this particular error, which identifies a range of possible causes for 0xc5 :

The most typical causes for the ‘0xc0000005: Access Violation’ error are: corrupt registry, malware, faulty RAM, faulty drivers, incorrectly written, installed or updated software and even Windows security features.

Leaving aside the registry angle, it lists -

1. Driver errors "especially faulty 3rd party drivers, incompatible or outdated drivers"

2. Faulty memory.  Probably not the cause, not for so many users, but anyone wanting to check anyway can go to http://www.memtest.org/ and download memtest86+.

3. Virus infection. Again, unlikely to be the cause, but it never hurts to run an extra scan with something like Microsoft's Live Safety Scanner or MSRT.

4. Video driver updates.

5. Printer drivers :

when your current printer profile is incompatible with the updated settings of one of the programs you are trying to use. You may reinstall the program, printer drivers or even the entire system over and over again and that won’t help. The reason is that every time you will install the same default user profile included in your printer installation package by the manufacturer. The simplest way to fix 0xc0000005 is to create a new, clean user profile for the printer.

6. DEP. I believe this is enabled by default on Windows 7 and probably Vista, but not XP. (Taken from here)

Data Execution Prevention

The nasty 0xC0000005 error may occur because of Data Execution Prevention (DEP) introduced by Microsoft in SP2 and used in later Windows versions. DEP is a set of security features that prevents code execution from non-executable memory segments. In other words, DEP monitors and ensures that the applications installed on your computer use the system memory in a safe way.

The information on your computer is stored as data and executable code, each type of information exploits its own memory segment. The 0xC0000005 error means that a program is trying to execute data as a code from non-executable parts of memory. Such behavior is characteristic of malware and DEP traps attempts to execute a malware code. The 0xC0000005 error message notifies you of such attempts. But many legal software programs use dynamic code generation, and the generated code is not always marked as executable code, which makes such applications incompatible with DEP and results in the 0xc0000005 access violation error. There are several ways to eliminate 0xc0000005 errors caused by Data Execution Prevention.

What to Do with DEP incompatibility

• You may contact your software vendor and notify about the 0xc0000005 error so that they release a patch or fix DEP incompatibility in future versions.
  • You can set DEP exceptions for the application you need (make sure the application is legitimate before you do so!). In most DEP cases this is the best solution for the 0xC0000005 error.
  • Turning off Data Execution Prevention is the worst of all solutions because it leaves your computer unprotected.

... and finally, it has a note for developers. I don't know if this still applies, since the rest of the information appears to be a couple of years old at least.

If you are a software developer and you keep getting an exception with status code STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005), your program might attempt to violate DEP. You could try the following: If your application is designed to use executable memory, it must have this attribute set on the appropriate memory by specifying

PAGE_EXECUTE_, PAGE_EXECUTE_READ, PAGE_EXECUTE_READWRITE or PAGE_EXECUTE_WRITECOPY

in the memory protection argument of the Virtual memory allocation functions.

If the above solutions don’t help run your program in debugger. Maybe you haven’t initialized the pointer correctly. When debugger stops on a violation simply check the call stack and open every file until you see what piece of code produced the violation

The most likely cause of the 0xc5 errors that newjack has illustrated, and the 'McSvHost has stopped working' pop-ups, lies in a bug in a piece of code used by several different programs. Whoever has to trawl through the code looking for it will almost certainly need event logs and McAfee error logs from a few people to help narrow down the search. I hope some of the users posting in this thread (and the other ones) will be willing to provide them.

(If you are using XP, look for C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\MCLOGS\McSvcHost\McSvHost\McSvHost000.log).

EDIT - In another thread, ybruf has posted a screenshot of an Application Popup taken from the Event Logs, showing Event ID 26. The Portugese text in the popup box refers to this variant of error 26 -

Source: Application Popup
Type: Information
Description:
Application popup: <application name> - Application Error : The instruction at "<memory location>" referenced memory at "<memory location>". The memory could not be "read".

- which is basically the same as in newjack's screenshots.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 22/01/12 05:13:34 GMT

Message was edited by: Hayton on 22/01/12 05:33:15 GMT
Peacekeeper
Message 66 of 132

Re portugal calls will discuss this On Monday at our call.

Sorry they changed teh call date this even happened to me they get a call which goes far longer than they expect and run out of time.

I will push the Portugese speaker issue again on your and ybruf's behalf.

Peacekeeper
Message 67 of 132

Re synchronization error 2 thoughts

1. This I hear from Haydon is fixed by re downloading the update manager of programs To do this you would need to reinsttall Mcafee after uninstalling it

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

2. that said trawling through my firewall properties in Internet connections for programs do you have a Mcafee Synchronization Application allowed access?

griffosan
Contributor III
Message 68 of 132

I'm getting frustrated with the lack of response to this issue. See this thread for screen shots and log contents of the problem. https://community.mcafee.com/thread/42151?tstart=0

Perhaps the real question is this: How do we know McAfee has not been defeated by a new worm? Maybe the Host error is the only symptom of an infection.

bpms06
Former Member
Message 69 of 132

For information, I see some small differences with the indications of Hayton

1 ° / I use XP but I have not the file indicated by Hayton (who wrote: If you are using XP, look for C: \ DocumentsandSettings \ AllUsers \ Application Data \ McAfee \ MCLOGS \ McSvcHost \ McSvHost \ McSvHost000.log).

But I find files McSvHost000 in 5 different places and all contain the word "error"

C: \ Documents and Settings \ All Users \ Application Data \ McAfee \ MCLOGS \ Anti-Spam \ McSvHost

C: \ Documents and Settings \ All Users \ Application Data \ McAfee \ MCLOGS \ Homenet \ McSvHost

C: \ Documents and Settings \ All Users \ Application Data \ McAfee \ MCLOGS \ MISP \ McSvHost

C: \ Documents and Settings \ All Users \ Application Data \ McAfee \ MCLOGS \ MPF \ McSvHost

C: \ Documents and Settings \ All Users \ Application Data \ McAfee \ MCLOGS \ VirusScan \ McSvHost

And more, if I search the word "error" in all "*. log" of he file “McAfee”, I find many files (several dozen !!) that contain this word. I find this disturbing

2 ° / In my PC, when the message   "McAfee Host needs to close .... "   appears, the Event Viewer indicates sometimes that the application “mchost.exe” has failed, that the failed module is “McMscShm.dll” and that the error is 0x0005f540. I think this is not the same thing that the error 0xc0000005 that Hayton describe.

Best regards

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 70 of 132

bpms06 wrote:

2 ° / In my PC, when the message   "McAfee Host needs to close .... "   appears, the Event Viewer indicates sometimes that the application “mchost.exe” has failed, that the failed module is “McMscShm.dll” and that the error is 0x0005f540. I think this is not the same thing that the error 0xc0000005 that Hayton describe.

In which case, the failure of McSvHost could be caused by more than one underlying problem. This makes sense, because McSvHost is a container, a package containing a number of services, just like svchost in Windows.

McSvHost services.JPG

If something goes wrong in any one of those, it could crash the container package unless properly handled.

I can't find information anywhere about a 0x5f540 error.  Can you check that you have typed it correctly?

As for the extra log files : yes, I see them too and some of them contain large numbers of error messages. I have no way of knowing how many of those are true errors, and how many are the result of the normal operation of the AV programs. I suspect some of those "errors" are merely warnings.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community