cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackwhite
Former Member
Message 11 of 18

Re: McUICnt.exe High Processor Usage

I should add (of course I should ,I apologise) that I have the program "Dell Support Center" as below

dell support center mcafee.png

jackwhite
Former Member
Message 12 of 18

I have just read ,so I then went to "Account" and opened the "About" screen - no discernible problem- I then opened Reliability Monitor - "Stopped working" had immediately been recorded -as below

screenshot20171114-082915.png

screenshot20171114-083019.png

I know little, but this does seem unrelated to the problem of disk writes and high cpu .

I suppose that the "Dell Support Assist" application referred to by Chinthanai Selvan P is more or less the same as the "Dell Support Center" that I mentioned and this MAY ,in my case, have something to do with the high disk writes and cpu?

minsc
Former Member
Message 13 of 18

Looks like you're getting the same issues as me then!

Just had another high CPU event and C:\ProgramData\McAfee\MCLOGS\ETW\mclogs.etl is the system process that's writing to the hard disk at about 1-2MB/s in my case.

oldtimer98
Contributor II
Message 14 of 18

Not a DELL! Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. Intel quad core i7-4770 (3.4GHz) 8MB cache. 16GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600MHz RAM. ASUS Z87-A motherboard. Nvidia GTX-650Ti graphics

Oh dear what can the matter be? There's a problem with my Mc-Afee!

I don't know if my problem is related by this thread. MVT shows no errors.

28 Nov 2017 - excessive disk activity making system very slow. Task manager shows file C:\ProgramData\McAfee\MCLOGS\ETW\mclogs.etl being written to at over 20,000,000 B/sec. But mclogs.etl file size in Explorer remained unchanged at a little over 16,000 KB. The activity was still continuing after more than an hour so I turned off Real-Time Scanning and the disk activity stopped but the activity resumed when Real-Time Scanning was re-started.
Also tasks such as Run Scan, Shredder and Updates would not open. Settings from the gear wheel icon would display the options list but no option in the list would open.
Reboot was the only solution.
McAfee Internet Security v 16.0.5 was upgraded from V 16.0.4 on November 27.

I have been using McAfee for nearly 20 years but the recent offerings have been disappointing.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

minsc
Former Member
Message 15 of 18

When you notice it starting to happen, open the main interface and open 'Application Updates'. 9/10 it will open but will take several times longer than usual......closing it again will cause the high processor usage to go away.

This only seems to work if you catch it soon after the problem occurs.....if you don't log off, as Jack White suggested above.....

minsc
Former Member
Message 16 of 18

Can we elevate this issue then mods?

Just as with several other problems I've noticed recently, I don't think your average user is gonna notice this happening on their machine, especially when they have so much crapo running taking up inordinate numbers of processor cycles.

minsc
Former Member
Message 17 of 18

The speed and quality of support in these forums has nose dived recently.

No insults to the people who do their best here, but it is NOT good enough any longer and McAfee is a poor security product........

e.g. memory leak identified by myself months and no-one seems to care.....

oldtimer98
Contributor II
Message 18 of 18

Thanks for the replies. I have to agree the product has deteriorated  over the last three years. Almost every release has at least one annoying bug. V 16.0.4 had the "McAfee UI Host stopped working" Feature! I didn't even both to report it. I had performance issues around 2012/13? but the then new Tile Interface fixed a lot of performance issues and was quite reliable. Since Intel Security I have noticed an increasing number bugs.
I am retired but used McAfee for 10 years in an Enterprise environment. My use and support for the last 10 years has been only at home for family and friends.

McAfee Internet Security V 16.0.5. McAfee SecurityCentre V 16.5, Build 16.5.190, Last update 27/11/2017. McAfee VirusScan V 20.5, Build 20.5.179, Last Update 28/07/2017.
McAfee Personal Firewall V 17.5, Build 17.5.145, Last update 06/11/2017. McAfee WebAdvisor V 4.0, Build 4.0.7.141, Last Update 13/11/2017.
McAfee Anti-Spam V 17.5, Build 17.5.173, Last update 06/11/2017
McAfee QuickClean and Shredder V 16.5, Build 16.5.181, Last update 06/11/2017. McAfee Vulnerability Scanner V 6.5, Build 6.5.140, Last update 06/11/2017.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community