cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
horseatingweeds
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

McSvHost.exe steals 30-50% of CPU--but only when I run hulu on Chrome

This is a weird one. I was having trouble running a video on hulu.com thisevening, and it wasn't working. It was stalling then failing. I saw thatMcSvHost.exe was taking up a lot of CPU, burying its needle.

I had McAfee suddenly start monopolizing the CPU before. Then, I went to live chat support, but I couldn’t remember what they did to fix it, other than that they deleted temp files. So I decided to try live chat support again. They deleted temp files and installed non-essential Windows updates – one of which wouldn’t install – so they said I’d have to talk to their high-level support because they couldn’t fix Windows and gave me their number. I’m not sure I’m going to bother them.

After more experimentation, I found that the McSvHost.exe file only goes crazy when I run a hulu.com video on Chrome browser. YouTube and Netflix bothrun on Chrome without angering McSvHost, and hulu runs on FireFox without the problem. Weird hu?

Anyone have any ideas about this? lol What is McSvHost.exe trying to do?

8 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: McSvHost.exe steals 30-50% of CPU--but only when I run hulu on Chrome

Hi there,

Sorry for the trouble caused with the issue. Please let us know the below details ;

What is the computer’s operating system ?

RAM size:

How old is the PC?

Check in your control panel for any other security software ?

Version details :

McAfee Security center version :

McAfee Virus scan version :

DAT :

McAfee Personal firewall version :

Regards,

wtfmate1224
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Im having the same exact problem. It just started happening about a week ago and it has only been Hulu and one video on another website.

horseatingweeds
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Windows 7

4 GB

1 year

securityCenter: 11.0.669

VirusScan: 15.0.300

firewall: 12.0.351

I found that this occurs for only some videos on Hulu, not all.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 9

wtfmate224 details

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)

System Model: G74Sx

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0 GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

McAfee SecurityCenter

Version: 11.0

Build: 11.0.669

Last update: 5/2/2012

Mcafee Virus Scan

Version: 15.0

Build: 15.0.300

DAT Version: 6706

Boot DAT Version: 6704.0000

McAfee Personal Firewall

Version: 12.0

Build: 12.0.351

McAfee Site Advisor

Version: 3.4

Build: 3.4.1.195

Have either you tried with netguard a firewall setting disabled?

wtfmate1224
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Yes, I just tried it out and disabled them and this did not seem to solve the problem. Unless my PC needs to restart for this to take full effect than it does not solve the problem. (At least for my particular situation) Should I try and completely disable the firewall and perhaps each setting at a time and see what happens?

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 9

Try a reboot though I would not have expected it needed to,. try also a reset of the firewall to defaullts then if no help wait for Dinz to comment. There is a netguard fix for mcsvhost errors soon so that may help.

I assume chrome has full access?

on 11/05/12 7:35:17 PM
lftqba1980
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

I am having the same problem with the McSvHost.exe error.  I figured out a temporally solution without rebooting your system. Open your McAfee.

Click on Firewall: On
Click on Settings
Click on Restore Defaults
Click on HOME

This will fix the problem and you can get back on the web without rebooting. But I still need to get a fixed solution. I should not have to do this everytime McAfee wants to double check for updates or whatever is doing to causethis problem.

I still need a real Fix.

Thanks,
Ariel

scottster88
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Thanks lftqba1980!

The temporary solution you mentioned actually works.

Two friends of mine also have the McSvHost.exe issue, and I'll be passing your temporary fix discovery to them in the morning.

McSvHost.exe causes a ridiculous amount of CPU spikes, leading to "dragging/lagging" whenever I'm playing a game, video or music. I never had this issue while I was with Nortons Antivirus. It would be nice if McAfee can address the issue and release a patchfix.
Just a note - I have never used "hulu" before in my life. For me the issue occurs while browsing normally, I've spotted it guzzling up to a maximum of 86% CPU at one point.

Thanks again lftqba1980.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community