cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drekmonger
Contributor III
Message 1 of 6

McSvHost.exe and mcproxy.dll Faults Causing Outlook 2007 Problems

I have a Lenovo W510 running 32-bit W7Pro with McAfee Total Protection (14.0.9042) installed.  Starting 05/27/2016, I have been experiencing recurring Event ID Errors associated with the McAfee Proxy Service – Application Error Event ID 7000 related to Faulting application name: McSvHost.exe, version: 5.0.9012.0 and Faulting module name: mcproxy.dll, version: 8.0.9009.0.  Shortly afterward, I get six Service Control Manager Event ID 7031 Errors that always start with McAfee Home Network service and one Service Control Manager Event ID 7031 Error related to the McAfee Boot Delay Start Service. All seven of the Service Control Manager Errors occur at the same time.  The McAfee Total Protection application has run normally throughout. However, the send/receive in Outlook 2007 is impacted and errors result, usually involving either a failure of an E-Mail to download or a reported interruption of the server connection. The Outlook impact is very aggravating. All McAfee scans have been clean and I have run Microsoft Safety Scanner and it has been clean too.  All computers are up to date with Microsoft updates.

Detailed notes from an occurrence yesterday:

Shortly after bootup, at 7:19:53 AM, I got the event ID 1000 Application Error and the six related Event ID 7031 Errors, which started and completed at 7:20:02 AM, starting with “The McAfee Home Network service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.” Failures always in the same order: McAfee Home Network service, McAfee Personal Firewall Service service, McAfee VirusScan Announcer service, McAfee Platform Services service, McAfee Proxy Service service and McAfee Anti-Spam Service service.  One Service Control Manager Event ID 7034 at 7:20:02 AM:  “The McAfee Boot Delay Start Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).” 

A week or so ago, I had run McAfee Virtual Technician to try to assess and solve the problem.  The only problem MTV reported was a wrong registry value in VirusScan-McAfee Total Protection 18.0.9019, designated one of its “Top Issues.”  It purported to fix the problem but it always reoccurred in MVT runs in subsequent days. I contacted McAfee Technical Support and was advised that a clean reinstall of McAfee Total Protection would solve the registry issue.  (I have assumed that the registry issue has some connection with the recurring McAfee Proxy Service issues being experienced.)  So, on 06/16/2016 I uninstalled, cleaned with MCPR and reinstalled. The problems continue.  I have other Lenovo computers running 32-bit W7Pro not being impacted by the same Event Viewer Errors, although one has the registry problem that MVT has not permanently fixed and recurring Event ID 7000 and 7009 that seem to relate to failures to start the McAfee Boot Delay Start service and timeouts waiting for the McAfee Platform Service to connect. 

What’s the deal with McAfee Total Protection and my W510?

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: McSvHost.exe and mcproxy.dll Faults Causing Outlook 2007 Problems

Moved to Consumer General discussion as a better spot.

Try this: turn off Email attachment scanning in SecurityCenter > Virus and Spyware Protection > Real Time Scanning > Settings

You are still protected if you save said attachments to the hard drive, they will then be scanned.

I wouldn't be concerned about Events in Event Viewer as all they are doing is logging what's going on.  If the software otherwise behaves itself then no need to be concerned.

If you are that worried then open a case with Technical Support and if at first they can't help, then escalate the issue.

It's a free phone call:  Contact Support

drekmonger
Contributor III
Message 3 of 6

Ex_Brit,

Thanks for the prompt response.  Turning off scanning of E-Mail attachments is a little scary so I will hold off on that for now.  I'm not unduly worried by Event Viewer items in general, but in this case the McAfee Proxy Service is causing E-Mail download failures in Outlook 2007, which are troubling.  The issue is clearly a McAfee creation and should be able to be fixed.  Also, it is highly likely it is impacting others.  I saw that someone reported similar behavior on a Microsoft blog back in September 2015:  Microsoft network errors on event log.

I will monitor the situation for a little while longer, but probably will need to contact Technical Support.  I am hoping that, since I already took the "reinstall McAfee" advice we can escalate the issue quickly.

drek

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Well you could try Technical Support but Outlook 2007 is rather old and really it should be replaced by a later edition.

drekmonger
Contributor III
Message 5 of 6

Office 2007 has always worked well up until this issue arose and is still supported by Microsoft.

Over the years, the bugs in the McAfee suites I have run generally have involved the update or intrusion protection settings.  Those bugs ultimately were fixed by McAfee engineers.  As a lark, three days ago I changed my update setting from the preferred Notify before download and install to fully automatic download and install.  None of the McAfee Proxy Service Event ID 1000 Errors or the resulting Event ID 7031 and 7034 Errors have occurred for those three days and counting. 

drek

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

That's interesting

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community