Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
knick
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

McAfee won't install

Hi.

I recently uninstalled McAfee because it was having issue updating; however, when I tried to reuninstall it, the installer said there was a download error:12029. I've tried to download the files again, but I keep getting the same error. I'm positive I completely removed all the files relating to the old McAfee, too.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

3 Replies
MaheshCJ
Contributor III
Message 2 of 4

Re: McAfee won't install

Hi knick,

1. You can try to run the MCPR tool. from link below

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

2. Restart the computer

3. Open Internet explorer, Click on Tools, Internet Options -> Advanced -> Reset 

4. Ran the Pitool from the link below

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe

5. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 restart the computer else if you are using Windows XP go to step 6

6. Try to download McAfee again..

Revert back if the same problem occurs.

Thank you

Regards

Mahesh CJ

knick
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for the help!

I'm afraid to say even after I followed your instructions, I'm getting the same error message from the McAfee installer. (Would it have something to do with the fact I use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer?)

Do you think it may not be installing because I also have Spybot - Search and Destroy and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware?

Message was edited by: knick on 12/25/09 10:38:51 AM CST
Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

Hi,

The other antivirus software can make the Download Manager  unable to access the Internet.

I would suggest you to uninstall the other security softwares from control panel as well as its files and folders from C:\program files and common files.

Restart the computer and tap pressing the F8 keys while restarting , from Windows advanced boot menu select safe mode with networking. (Ignore this step if you are on a wireless connection)

Then Try installing again,

Regards.

Dinesh K

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community