cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Loucetius
Contributor
Message 91 of 115

Re: McAfee update causes blue screen crash?

Confirmed by me too. Did an driver update of my Dell Wireless network card to the current version 8.0.0.239.

An Dell XPS 8100 i7 64-bit Win-7 user.

Works fine(Right now)

Peacekeeper
Message 92 of 115

That is great I have been saying it is a clash with a dell driver or rather some hardware/software that dell uses commonly since day 2.

Hope this helps more

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 93 of 115

I have the same set-up as Loucetius (as you can see from my signature), but I already HAD that very same driver version installed at the time this all  happened.

So, while some sort of Network Service/Network Adapter Driver problem seems to be logical, that explanation does NOT explain it or work for me.

MM

Peacekeeper
Message 94 of 115

That is annoying  so you had the latest and still were having bsods that implies another issue again. Getting like the mcsvhost isue that had 10 causes.

Of course as you are using another brand product you cannot check if issue is still there with current version. Probably is.

Will mention this in our call at least it helped 2 so far.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 95 of 115

@Peacekeeper:

Yes, and you deserve some sort of medal for sticking with this.

As I said a day or so ago -- if McAfee will cough up the cash for me to purchase a duplicate system identical to mine, to beta test and experiment with, I'm all for it.

Short of that, I really don't expect McAfee can really help me, since I cannot possibly invest any more time/effort/expense/lost productivity to repeat the insanity again and again.

OTOH Someone really ought to gather up & merge all the related/identical/similar threads here -- there are so many I've lost track of following all of them -- and try to resolve this for some of the other folks.

(Though I suspect most of them have likewise moved on, as well....)

Sigh,

MM

njmchase
Former Member
Message 96 of 115

On the ACER I first reported I decided to check the drivers for the wireless card as several have suggested and indeed after an update of the driver and an update of McAfee the problem as of this morning appears to be resolved. Certainly the BSOD is not occurring on startup and we can login to the machine ok.

Peacekeeper
Message 97 of 115

3 success 1 no (assumed no that is as not tried)

Moxie not saying you should try it again as you have moved on.

gkakaron
Former Member
Message 98 of 115

Hi,

I don’t have a windows 7 notebook. I have a windows vista 32bit desktop.

I have uploaded (as requested by McAfee) both my post-BSOD logs and my hardware/software info with two posts:

https://community.mcafee.com/message/146672#146672

https://community.mcafee.com/message/148022#148022

However I do have a wireless PCI adapter (NETGEAR WPN311 RangeMax Wireless PCI Adapter) which uses an Atheros driver.

After reading this post

https://community.mcafee.com/message/150924#150924

I checked on my driver and I had the Atheros 7.7.0.384 adapter.

Using the driver update feature of Vista told me that I already had the most recent driver.

However as the post suggested I looked for an updated driver and more specifically for the WLAN Atheros driver Version 8.0.0.238. I found a driver here

http://www.wikidrivers.com/wiki/Atheros_AR5xxx/AR9xxx_8.0.0.238

Installing it increased the version number from 7.7.0.384 to 7.7.0.396. Since the version of the driver changed I thought I try to re-install McAfee to see what happens.

Reinstalling McAfee ended up with a BSOD again. I had to restore my system again. And now I have to reinstall the free antivirus software I had before installing McAfee again.

Because all this is very time consuming it would be terrific if someone can point me to the exact Atheros driver that I should install to satisfy McAfee. If you do I’ll give it another try.

My configuration is:

Windows vista 32bit desktop system.

NETGEAR WPN311 RANGEMAX PCI ADAPTER

Thanks

George

njmchase
Former Member
Message 99 of 115

What I did notice is that the whole Mcafee front end has changed following this install, so it was way more than a .dat file upgrade . My wifes ACER is running 32bit vista. We have restarted several times this morning and both logged in and just to repeat at this time no issues.

Peacekeeper
Message 100 of 115

Will ask for someone to chase this up for you. Vista usually is not part of this issue that worries me a bit. Will get someone to get back to you asap.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community