cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richard904
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

McAfee update causes McAfee Service Host problem on boot

McAfee did an update to McAfee Security Center last Tue (05/31/2011) and upon reboot it gave the message "McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and needs to close" and then I cannot use Firefox or my old IE6.  It prevents either browser from getting to their home page.  There may be other things going on internal to McAfee, but the big problem to me is Internet access.  Prior to the upgrade the computer was working fine (a Dell laptop running XP SP2). If this is simply a file corruption, can a stage the correction in some way that I remove McAfee, regain access to the Internet, then use the McAfee cleanup tool, and then reinstall?

13 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 14

Re: McAfee update causes McAfee Service Host problem on boot

Well first update XP SP2 support ended on July 13, 2010. Ditto IE6 far better to use IE8 or 9.

That said

Download the clean up tool and method here (use another PC to access this)

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

uninstall

reboot test internet access

Run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Reinstall Mcafee from your account and test net etc.

If still an issue chat with techs and see if they can see the issue via chat available on tech Services page in useful links tab above.

Any reason you do not want to upgrade XP and IE? What ram have you and PC specs?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 3/06/11 7:21:19 PM
richard904
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

The main reason I did not update to XP SP3 was the user comments on the Internet of problems with the update.  I essentially replaced IE6 with Firefox which is almost up-to-date.  The next update would be Firefox 4.  Firefox has worked fine on all my key applications, and it was easy to install.

I will have to get PC access to the Internet (I am using my wife's Mac for all of this, and I have no idea whether I can download a Windows file in the proper format to a Mac dvd so I can read it on my laptop).  My son is the Mac expert and he is many miles away.

I would like to ask a related question.  Is it possible to cleanly stop all McAfee activity if I have enough functionality in the programs.  If so, then if I can get to the Internet, would this then be a quick test that all my problems lie with McAfee?  It would still be necessary to reinstall McAfee Security Center.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 14

Yes you can turn off each feature firewall would be the first to try. This in the security centre options.

I still would update to sp3 and especially ie8 if you can as though you use FF mcafee likes IE present and having an old version could cause issues . I will ask the techs re this.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 14

Much of your problems are, I strongly suspect, due to the fact that you are using an obsolete system as it stands now; support for SP2 ran out July 2010, and an almost obsolete version of Internet Explorer, IE8 being the latest available for your operating system (once it is updated to SP3 properly).  Whether or not you use Internet Explorer it plays a major part in the functionality of your system and should be kept up to date.

Please see THIS regarding IE6 and THIS regarding SP2 no longer being supported and for help with installing SP3 see THIS.

SP3 will bring your machine up to date as far as approximately April 2008 - you still need to install many updates afterwards to be current.

I cannot stress how important this is not only for proper functionality but for security.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/06/11 10:22:45 EDT AM
Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 14

Please update to Ie8 and SP3 The techs say this could be your issue.

user17
Former Member
Message 7 of 14

Just a note... I am running SP3 and IE8 but has just experienced the same problem. Will try and do the clean-up as per the first advice in the thread.

Thanks

Igor

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 8 of 14

Have you installed HP cloud drive/ Zumo cast/ Zumo drive on your computer?

createabang
Former Member
Message 9 of 14

Same problem here.

XP sp3, Firefox4

No HP cloud drive

Thanks, Mike

jbbrown
Former Member
Message 10 of 14

Same problem here, too.

xp sp3 IE8

no hp cloud drive

on HP computer

get email sporadically

am running thru wifi, but that shows connectivity

Mcafee shows an icon in lower right, but no functions run inside of it.

all seemed to start after a major set of updates from Windows (perhaps including IE8, I'm not sure, not my computer)

Jay

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community