Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 51 of 59

Re: McAfee stops running

Ex_Brit wrote:

Going back to post #1 I disagree, VirusScan or as it's called now Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, never continued running a scheduled scan or woke up & started one up during hibernation or sleep mode.  I think the OP was mistaken stating that  it used to do that.   That's the whole point of sleep/hibernation, to shut down Windows, but not quite power it off.

So, IMHO, this issue is a non-starter.

In XP a scan will run to completion if you walk away and leave the machine unattended, even if the power settings indicate that the PC should go into a low-power Standby state or Hibernate after a relatively short period. How the OS determines that there is system activity I'm not sure - CPU usage presumably. All this changed when Windows 7 came in.

In Windows 7 the (then) newly-introduced Hybrid Sleep will be activated after a set period of time if there is no user interaction (mouse movement, mouse clicks, keyboard input). It does this EVEN IF a McAfee Scan is currently running. That's the whole point of the question.

In Windows 7 the OS polls all active programs and processes before Hybrid Sleep starts and waits for a response that indicates that something is running and so Hybrid Sleep should be deferred. McAfee does not reply to this polling.

That's it in a nutshell. See Post #19 for more details.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 52 of 59

Ah I understand.   I took post #1 to mean something else, sorry about that.   I didn't read on, my fault.

damurrs
Contributor
Message 53 of 59

Sorry Peter but you are incorrect. VirusScan continued to run in XP during a scheduled scan.  One of your techs actually tried it on XP and agrees with me.  Look through the posts.  The product is not working properly.  A scheduled scan is designed to run a scan automatically and when it shuts down the user has two choices: - sit at the PC and prevent the PC from going into hibernate/sleep  or set the PC not to hibernate/sleep.

If the user has to do either of those then what is the point of a scheduled scan?  I no longer schedule my scans due to this bug because McAfee is forcing me to not set my PC to hibernate/sleep.  I have to manually set my PC to constantly run and then run a manual scan.

It's a bug that needs to be corrected.  Do you run scheduled scans?  Let us know how you do it.

Art

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 54 of 59

At least with a manual scan you have an option to shut down the PC after the scan if nothing is found. I see no way to do that with a scheduled scan, so I agree with damurrs that there is no way to prevent the PC from being in full operational mode after the scan except to be awake, in the vicinity, and aware of the scan's progress (and its ending).

And I, unlike some, think you should be able to choose whether you can keep your PC in a low-power state. "Always-on" might not be the best option, for any number of reasons, but cold-booting might not be desirable. If the OS offers the option of Hibernating / Sleeping, the user should be able to choose and use either of those without a third-party program dictating otherwise.

damurrs
Contributor
Message 55 of 59

Hi Hayton

I have not used a scheduled scan since I first reported the bug for what seems like a year and forgot scheduled scans do not shut down the PC if no issues are found. Personally, I will take the lack of that feature if the inability to effectively run a scheduled scan is corrected.

I also agree I should be able to choose whether to keep my PC in low-power state.  It is an option advertised for energy star compliance and just common sense (why use power for no reason).  This choice is eliminated when the user chooses scheduled scan. 

But the real question is when will this be corrected? 

davidwil
Former Member
Message 56 of 59

I have had more than one session with McAfee chat support trying unsuccessfully to solve the problem of the scan stopping when Windows 7 goes to sleep by taking control of my computer. The last advice I received was to reinstall McAfee 'All Acess'.

I note that Acronis True Image Home 2012 which I schedule for an overnight backup does not have this problem. I assume that it is able to recognise and respond to the Microsoft  "notice windows sends".

Why does McAfee have this issue? Has it been escalated to the next level of suport? It certainly deserves their attention.

I have used McAfee for many years but am beginning to wonder if I will do so again once my present licence expires.

Message was edited by: davidwil on 09/01/14 03:33:08 CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 57 of 59

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 58 of 59

Hi David,

Windows does not tend go sleep when a file transfer is in Progress whereas in case of McAfee Scanning It takes place within the Internal drives rather than Network Data Transfer. Also I have a question if you have enabled Scheduled Scans in McAfee . If yes do not choose the option Scan if the System is Idle.

Regards

Pritish
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 59 of 59

Hi David,

Please let us know the status of the issue that you were facing. is your issue resolved or do you still need support.

Regards

Pritish P.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community