Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
damurrs
Contributor
Message 21 of 59

Re: McAfee stops running

Hi Hayton,

Thanks for the response.  If you look back at my thread you will see I always knew sleep was from lack of user activity.  That was one of my points.  The user must either be active or the sleep setting must be set to as long, if not longer than the scan itself.  Neither is a correct option.  The thread provides my reasons.  I don't need to repeat them here..

The answer I want to focus on is Shawn Keene's.  He understands my major point, McAfee's programs don't have the ability to recognize the Windows notice to all open apps to decline the request to sleep.  That is either a bug or poor design on McAfee's part.  It renders scheduled scans fairly useless.

I will repeat one of my original statements. This problem did not happen on my version of McAfee that came with Windows XP.  The problem appears to have been introduced sometime after that.

Even if I am wrong about it working on XP, Shawn's answer is from May 3, 2011.  What is McAfee doing about this problem and when will it be corrected?  Please do not tell me it is working as designed.  I'm in IT and my answer to that is simple, poor design- please fix it.

Thanks, I do appreciate everyone's attention to my question. 

As much as I enjoy these conversation, I just want it fixed.

Art

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 22 of 59

damurrs wrote:

This problem did not happen on my version of McAfee that came with Windows XP.  The problem appears to have been introduced sometime after that.

You're right about it not happening on XP. I have XP and Windows 7, and on XP the scan always runs to completion when I leave the machine otherwise idle.  The points made earlier about power settings aren't relevant to XP, because I have those set to go into Stand By after 20 minutes and into Hibernation after 2 hours. A full scan on XP usually takes more than two hours, and always completes.

The difference seems to be down to a change Microsoft made when Windows 7 was introduced, which is why I included the section about the three modes in Win7. It's something I would have expected McAfee's developers to have been aware of, but I can't say whether earlier code took account of the Windows "stop-sleep?" request but was subsequently modified for whatever reason and now ignores it or fails to respond properly. This is something we'll have to raise with the Tier 3 techs on the next conference call.

As far as I know no-one prior to Sc00ter in his post has pointed to this change in the way Sleep mode is dealt with in Win7. The change appears to have been made with laptops primarily in mind, although the new Hybrid Sleep is intended for desktop users. I'll dig around in the Microsoft forums and see if I can come up with anything else, and if I do I'll post it here. Otherwise I can't promise any further developments until after Monday's call.

Message was edited by: Hayton - fix typos - on 13/09/12 14:37:17 IST
damurrs
Contributor
Message 23 of 59

Hayton,

Thank you so much for this post.  It validates what I have been experiencing and this "stop-sleep?" bug is a royal pain.  I'm more than willing to work with you and McAfee to encourage them to fix this quickly.  Can I help beyond these posts?

Please let me know of anything you find in the Microsoft forums or as a result of Monday's call.

Art

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 24 of 59

The question has been added to the conf call agenda. I'll report back with anything relevant.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 59

posted in error

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/09/12 4:46:59 EDT PM
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 26 of 59

I asked one of the Tier 3 techs on the call about this and he was intrigued. He said he never used Sleep Mode so hadn't come across it himself, but that it seemed probable that the explanation given on the Microsoft forum was correct. He's taking this away to consult with the developers. At this stage he's not saying it's definitely the answer, but when he's consulted he'll come back with more news. That's as much as I can tell you at the moment, I'm afraid.

damurrs
Contributor
Message 27 of 59

Thanks Hayton,

At least the Tier 3 tech is intriqued and is going back to the developers.  Can I at least ask if this gets added to whatever review list you have for your Monday calls so it does not get lost.

I think by now you realize this is a real problem with McAfee and needs to be fixed.

Is there anything I can do to keep this on their radar and moving forward?

Regards,

Art

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 28 of 59

damurrs wrote:

Is there anything I can do to keep this on their radar and moving forward?

Give me a nudge before next Monday's conference call if I haven't reported back with any further news.

Peacekeeper
Message 29 of 59

Actually I will get around to setting my PC up with all your settings and try it on the new beta I have soon. Been helping my daughter look for a new house so a bit stretched for time.

damurrs
Contributor
Message 30 of 59

Thanks Tony.  Do you mean to tell me finding a house for your daughter is more important than this???????

Good luck!

Art

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community