Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bemused
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

McAfee says I'm protected but Windows says I'm not

Hi guys

might be a stupid question but thought I'd raise this.

I live in the UK, run Vista Home Premium and got the McAfee Security Center update (Version 9.15, Build 9.15.175) this morning.

Everything seemed fine and when I restarted the computer McAfee told me I was protected. However, when I was checking my Windows Updates in the Control Panel, I clicked on CHECK THIS COMPUTER'S SECURITY STATUS and found my Firewall and Malware Protection in red.

When I clicked on them they said McAfee Firewall and McAfee Virus Scan report that they are turned off. I went back to my McAfee Security Center and I had the big green tick to say everything was fine.

When I returned to the Windows Control Panel a few mins later, the red warnings had gone and Windows was saying Firewall and Malware were both turned on.

I shutdown the computer and then rebooted and the same thing happened. McAfee says I'm protected, Windows says I'm not but then changes its mind a few minutes later.

I'm a bit of a dinosaur, so any thoughts would be welcome. Is this kind of thing normal - I've never seen it before, although I admit I don't normally click on CHECK THIS COMPUTER'S SECURITY STATUS.

I suppose I'm basically looking for reassurance that this is just a glitch and I am protected.

Thanks very much for your help.

Bemused

6 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: McAfee says I'm protected but Windows says I'm not

Hi,

This could happen even if you dont have all of the required updates for your OS.

Could you please run a windows update and check whether there exists any important update (I would say especially service pack 1)

And regarding your your concern , if your antivirus is turned on all the time, you dont have to worry regarding your computers security.

Note:moving thread to home general discussion

Cheers,

Dinesh K

Bemused
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

thanks for replying

Windows is up to date - I'm running Service Pack 2

Am I right in thinking as long as McAfee says I'm protected I'm fine????

I just rebooted again and left it 5-10mins before looking in Control Panel and when I did Windows says I am protected.

Could it be something to do with the start-up of the computer? As I say, I'm not an expert so I apologise for asking stupid questions.

Jubo
Contributor III
Message 4 of 7

Must admit that  get this sometimes too. At start-up Windows loads but the antivirus program is a bit slow when loading. Then windows says I'm unprotected but when the antivirus software is loaded then everything is green again. You could check if your version of Windows is up-to-date by visiting Microsoft Update and click on the "Custom" button. That way you not only see the critical updates but also the optional updates.

Assuming you have the latest version of McAfee's software installed....

Bemused
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

Hi Jubo

Does that mean I am unprotected until Windows goes green? My McAfee says I'm protected right from the off.

I worked out today that it can take up to five minutes for the Windows status to go green, yet McAfee says I'm protected from the moment the computer fires up.

Do you think it's just a glitch and Windows is just taking longer to recognise McAfee is working???

I am completely up to date with my updates - including the optional ones.

user_135799
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

Hi,

From my that you provided that mcafee says Am I protected?YES immediately at the start but windows says the same message after 5 minutes.

You no need to worry as soon as mcafee starts it protects the computer. windows security center checks the programs and then it confirms for the presence of software in working condition. So till mcafee status says Am I protected?YES you no need to worry.

WITH REGARDS

YOGA

Bemused
Former Member
Message 7 of 7

thanks yoga - much appreciated

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community