Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjedrick
Contributor II
Message 1 of 14

McAfee popup message size don't fit on Windows 10 screens

Jump to solution

I am a subscriber and am set up for scheduled scans, running Windows 10  on both desktop and laptop pcs.

I still get popup messages of various types, such as

.Subscription renewal, do you want to run a scan, thank you for choosing McAfee.

Problem is they are positioned on the screen in ways that there is no way to close them or reply. Either they are only partly on the screen on in a small box where you can only see a small part of the message.

I have chatted with support, they took remote control and uninstalled and reinstalled the software, but when that didn't fix it, they said the problem was with my Firefox browser, but these recur at random when the browser isn't running.

One suggestion was to turn off information alerts in general settings, but the only options in general settings is to run when the pc is idle.

I want to get rid of these popups entirely.  Can someone contact McAfee and have them give me a way to do that?

Thanks.

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
bjedrick
Contributor II
Message 3 of 14

Re: McAfee popup message size don't fit on Windows 10 screens

Jump to solution

That works when message is half off the screen.  When it is in the middle of the screen with only a small part of the display showing, was able to get rid of it by sliding to the left until I could see the close X.

May try sending a postal mail to corporate at:

McAfee, LLC
6220 America Center Drive
San Jose, CA 95002
USA

Sometimes that gets results if enough people do it.

Thanks for your help

View solution in original post

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 14

Jump to solution

Might help but this notification issue been happening and complained about past many years even when I was a volunteer mod here and we asked the managers about the popups and even they said they cannot stop them. Strangely as I am on a long trial I rarely see any.

jbritton001
Contributor II
Message 7 of 14

Jump to solution

@Venkat_YM 

See attached! As these are borderline intrusive and the app that is supposed to protect its customers is now SPAMMING its very customers we are PAY you to protect. 

FYI I have every single option for "Alerts" turned off, where is the option to turn off McAfee Spam? 

If not create a service ticket as to me this would be considered a BUG. 

13 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 14

Jump to solution

These alerts are a bane of users. If info alerts are disabled and all notifcation settings in your browsers are disabled they are here to stay. Marketing  group is the culprit I have been told previously when I was a volunteer here.

That said the truncated display usually is when you have windows display setting set to 125% or larger. Reset to 100%.

Not a McAfee staff so only helping here.

bjedrick
Contributor II
Message 3 of 14

Jump to solution

That works when message is half off the screen.  When it is in the middle of the screen with only a small part of the display showing, was able to get rid of it by sliding to the left until I could see the close X.

May try sending a postal mail to corporate at:

McAfee, LLC
San Jose, CA 95002
USA

Sometimes that gets results if enough people do it.

Thanks for your help

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 14

Jump to solution

Might help but this notification issue been happening and complained about past many years even when I was a volunteer mod here and we asked the managers about the popups and even they said they cannot stop them. Strangely as I am on a long trial I rarely see any.

bjedrick
Contributor II
Message 5 of 14

Jump to solution

i am sending a letter to the current McAfee CEO and asking that he pass the problem on to someone who can provide a permanent solution.  This approach is often ignored but sometimes it actually gets results.  I suggest that everyone with this problem do the same.

Mr. Greg Johnson, CEO
McAfee, LLC
San Jose, CA 95002

Venkat_YM
Message 6 of 14

Jump to solution

Hi @bjedrick 

Greetings from McAfee.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Please help us with the screenshot of the pop ups on the computer screen that you see for better understanding to help you further.

Regards,
Venkat

jbritton001
Contributor II
Message 7 of 14

Jump to solution

@Venkat_YM 

See attached! As these are borderline intrusive and the app that is supposed to protect its customers is now SPAMMING its very customers we are PAY you to protect. 

FYI I have every single option for "Alerts" turned off, where is the option to turn off McAfee Spam? 

If not create a service ticket as to me this would be considered a BUG. 

bjedrick
Contributor II
Message 8 of 14

Jump to solution

Can't find any way on the website to create a service ticket.  Have you done so? Have already tried phone and they say it is not a McAfee problem.

bjedrick
Contributor II
Message 9 of 14

Jump to solution

Sounds like you're selling something.  This is a McAfee problem and I expect McAfee to solve it. McAfee tech support has suggested various solutions, and the one to change Windows 10 display size to 100% works for some popups, but not for the one in a small block in the middle of the screen which does not have a way to close it.  I have sent them a screenshot of this once, but it does not happen that often, so am waiting to see if it occurs again.  If so, I will send them another screenshot,

qunelzhas
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Jump to solution

It's not like people willingly (or knowingly) install it. It stealthily installs itself in a similar manner to the ask toolbar, if you weren't careful it would slide under your nose while installing flash player on your computer.

McAfee technically is a Trojan Horse but with plausible deniability because they can argue you could choose not to install it by navigating the "custom install" options of program you actually want, which inexperienced users avoid for fear of breaking down their equipment and use the "quick install" option instead. https://9apps.ooo/

And some retailers shove it among the bloatware on the pre-installed windows that comes with their laptops.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community