Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdmayes4
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

McAfee making Laptop freeze - Real time scanning turns off

Hi All,

I have a Win 7 64 bit Toshiba (6 months old) and have been happily working along - until Dec 12, 2012.

There was a windo update and a McAfee update - and then my laptop kept freezing (such as IE would open, but never display a page content, adn ctl alt del would go to main screen but never show task manager).

I have tried several things over the past few days - and it appears my pc only runs normally if I delete McAfee.  I have been a user for years, and I love the product.

I thought I would try here before calling - not really prepared to pay for special service when I have never had a problem before - I know it is not a virus or malware (several packages this).

Anyone else had this - or can some one offer help.  I currently have one subscription of mcafee available (deactivated from this machine) - all others seem OK, though one other win7 laptop is now also running very slow, esp in IE.

Thanks

Deb

1 Reply
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 2

Re: McAfee making Laptop freeze - Real time scanning turns off

I assume that was a 12.1 version update. Ok you took it off try running MCPR after the windows uninstall and then reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

and reinstall from your account

MCPR here

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

Sometimes an update does not work as well as a clean install. try that and report back. Support is available as well link in useful links tab above. If you still have an issue they need notifying.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community