cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 71 of 75

Re: McAfee keeps deactivating

I am the mod you mentioned. I had to travel around only as the old account setup went batty when you had 2 Pcs with the same name on them. The only fix that we found was rebuild the account and as the kids installs were under my account I had to go and run the repair tool to move them to the new accoune . Easy job and never happened again.

That said in your case i am unsure what was the deactivation cause.

BTW you need to uninstall via windows then run MCPR if you do not the old PC name will stay there in the account.

If you do not like to fill in email address maybe Make a temp gmail account  as I feel best way is for support to create a new account and that should fix it.

Those tools are around to help MCPR all AVs have a removal tool.

Mcpreinstall just cleans up temp files and IE settings

You have done more that would be necessary ie reformating but that proves the issue is in the account not the software.

Support

United States866-622-39118:00am-8:00pm CST, M - S

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 7/07/12 7:14:36 PM
jjtech
Former Member
Message 72 of 75

The reason I reformatted was because the PC had a nasty virus which was the reason I was working on the computer in the first place (I didn't mention that I know, but that had nothing to do with the Mcafee issue), the deactivation glitch only occurred after I had fixed the original problem (virus) and returned the PC to its owner. I never reformatted while dealing with the deactivation issue (gimme some credit now...).

I'm sure having to go visit your own kids' houses wasn't too much of a burden for you , I just mentioned it because I felt it shouldn't have been necessary (what if some of them lived in other states?).

And it's not that I'm stingy with my email, I just don't have time to wait for a call that may never come (and I like figuring stuff out on my own, which I did *fingers crossed*).

But uninstalling through windows first and then using MCPR is a method I haven't tried (and don't think should be necessary to uninstall twice basically, but whatever is effective,) but will do from now on (Also I'm not sure how the windows installer would affect a Mcafee account).

I'm very aware that almost every AV brand has an uninstall tool (I have several on my flash drive) and I use them religeously, but I don't know of any other brands that have (or need) all those other tools.

But the problem seems to be solved, I just wanted to vent a few years of frustration with this product.

Peacekeeper
Message 73 of 75

Ok I assume when you reformatted you did not unistall Mcafee or use the correct method That leaves a copy on the account. You end up with several copies of same PC name which is confusing. I rename the PC and then the copies get deleted after 90 days of no use.

If the kids and they are 30 years old lived elsewhere they would be expected to get their own AV. They all live 400M to 2 km away so handy.

on 08/07/12 7:09:31 EDT AM
jjtech
Former Member
Message 74 of 75

I used MCPR to uninstall before I reformatted, which I assumed was the correct method since it worked perfectly the other 25+ times I have done this (for other customers). Sometimes I would even name the PC the same and it always worked until this time. That's what's so maddening.

Peacekeeper
Message 75 of 75

They changed the account layout as you would have noted maybe that changed things.

Always it is better to run the windows removal tool first then mcpr and reboot and run the mcpreinstall tool.

My account has 3 same names from my wife's PC having 2 disk fail within 2 weeks. Things seem stable.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community