cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aquarius
Former Member
Message 51 of 75

Re: McAfee keeps deactivating

Could he have meant to turn off auto renewal ?

http://home.mcafee.com/root/MyAccount.aspx

Click My Auto renewal settings on the left

pdinusa
Former Member
Message 52 of 75

I am also having the same issue with McAfee 2010 3 user Virus Scanner Plus. I have uninstalled and re-installed 4 times now and still says "Your Software is Deactivated" though I still have one more license left.

This is sooooo frustrating...... I have been using McAfee for the past 3 years and now I have doubts....

Peacekeeper
Message 53 of 75

When you uninstalled did you use the MCPR tool? (in useful links tab above)?

Also before reinstalling run the MCpreinstall tool as well.

If then still an issue contact customer service  chat above and see what they can do I will also flag this post for our techs

aquarius
Former Member
Message 54 of 75

Crossing fingers this actually fixed it! Only "but" is if you only have a single subscription, it might not work.

Also I am not sure if every one of these steps is necessary, but it worked so I am putting everything I did on here as close as I can remember

1. Check your subscription for a computer that is only listed ONCE at the site, it may have to be one that is NOT running Windows 7. The one I picked is running Vista ="pink laptop"

2. Using "pink laptop" that is only listed once at the site, log into your account and deactivate protection for that computer

3. It will tell you that it will be deactivated in 7 days.

4. Using "pink laptop", do a manual check for updates (this seems to be the trigger that tells their site to turn it off). It should now give you a warning that your protection will expire in x number of days. DO NOTHING, you are still covered for that number of days. If it doesn't warn you, wait a few minutes and do another check for updates. Do not proceed to next step until it tells you this computer coverage is going to expire.

5. Now, using the computer that has been deactivated by McAfee = "black laptop", log into your account again, and make sure it says you have one license available. If it doesn't say that, wait a bit, it seems their system is slow to catch up on these changes sometimes.

6. When it does say you have 1 available, reactivate "black laptop" that was deactivated by McAfee right there in the account listing.

7. Again you have to be patient <grr> and wait for their system to catch up. The "black laptop" problem computer will still say it is deactivated, and you can't do anything in McAfee. At this point I got annoyed again, and left the computer sitting there. Somehow it caught up (Checked for updates in the background even though it appeared to be totally deactivated?)

So then it was all working just fine, going along it's merry way.

8. Patiently waited 7 days for the computer I myself deactivated "pink laptop" to actually lock me out of the McAfee. Waited an extra day just to make sure.

9. Using that computer, "pink laptop", DO NOT click reactivate in the warning that pops up on the computer itself. Instead, Log into the site, go to acounnt, reactivate the "pink laptop" computer there

10. Computer "pink laptop" itself will still tell you it is deactivated. Ignore it. After a while, it reactivates again. No idea how or why.  Not sure how long it took, I'd say about 15 minutes,  I was doing something else during the wait time, and didn't keep track

-----------------------

An alternate method of keeping the program from deactivating when you switch computers, or have to do a reinstall, or whatever it is that causes it, might be to turn off the auto check for updates for 7 days, since that seems to be the trigger that turns off the program, as doing the updates lets them "see" the computer, and do a miscount as to how many they think you have covered (??). Since there is apparently a 7 day wait to really be deactivated, it still counts them all until that 7 days has passed ?? But since I am weary of messing with it, I didn't check that out.

Message was edited by: aquarius on 2/5/11 3:55:46 PM CST
aquarius
Former Member
Message 55 of 75

It's been 7 days now and McAfee still working in all computers !

dancescape
Former Member
Message 56 of 75

We also have the same recurring issue ... every few weeks/months, receive a message that McAfee has de-activated.  It just happened again today.   

Logged into Mcafee account and deactivated problem PC from there (even though the PC installation indicates Mcafee has been deactivated, the logged in account indicates still activate, which is confusing).

Ran McAfee Technician which indicates everything is fine -- even though it isn't.

Ran malwarebytes to get rid of any malware.

Then reinstalled Mcafee again ... took more than an hour to do this.

To Techniicians, please check as there is clearly something buggy about McAfee.

aquarius
Former Member
Message 57 of 75

They should fix it, but you can see how long it has been, so I don't think they are going to fix it.

So see my message right above yours on this thread. Hopefully you have more than 1 computer, and can use the workaround I posted.

When you de-activate it online, it takes 7 days for it to really deactive - if you only have one computer, you have to wait 7 days to re-activate it again.

a_young240
Former Member
Message 58 of 75

We have been having the same problem at my office.  The owner has purchased a bunch of licences for our laptop computers, and one or two of them have deactivated.  Since I am not the registered owner of the products, technical support could not help me even though I am the one that has access to download and install the products on all of our laptops.  The owner is not in the country, and even if he was he doesn't have time for meaningless tasks such as this.

When I did get through to chat with technical support, I was on the line with them for 33 minutes, nd finally after all that time he deemed that he couldn't help me because I could not answer all of the security questions.  OK, so I'm not the registered owner, but if you operate that way ASK THEM IN THE FIRST TWO MINUTES instead of keeping me on the line for that long and simply telling me to uninstall/reinstall - which I have already tried.

Does anyone know a solution instead of contacting tech support?  They are no help to me.

Thank you,

Aaron Young

UMC

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 59 of 75

Deactivation can sometimes occur when products are removed using the MCPR removal tool rather than using Control Panel/Programs uninstaller method or if System Restore has been used, or for many other reasons but the accounts are protected for a reason, to prevent fraud, and it's certainly not a meaningless task getting them reactivated.  Technical Support has nothing to do with the accounts side, Customer Service does and is a Toll-Free call away but you will need the email address used to register the products and probably the the password for the account.

Customer Service is linked through Useful Links at the top of this page.

That's assuming it's the Consumer products that are installed on the laptops as against Enterprise.

uncleterry
Former Member
Message 60 of 75

Yeah, Im running a 3 PC licence, 2 on win7 (not using the third), had it deactivate on me the first day I used it on the 2nd machine, what's the point of a firewall that can just switch off without warning. Pretty damn poor. I was running zone alarm and avast on an old XP, used Mcafee becaue it came free with the new PC, as it was an integrated piece of software I decided to give it a go...not impressed. Definately think avast is better regarding anti-virus, guess I might go back to that and zone alarm.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community