cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bullwinkle131
Former Member
Message 1 of 75

McAfee keeps deactivating

I bought Mcafee on line in may 2010. account shows ok. Message keeps telling me Mcafee has been deactived. Says I need to pay $12.99 for more computers, but I only have one.

If I redownload Mcafee , it will work for awhile then deactivate in a few minutes.

Any suggestions?

74 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 75

Re: McAfee keeps deactivating

May I suggest you run the McAfee Virtual Technician found at the top of this page under Useful Links in the Technical Support area. MVT will scan your computer for any McAfee related issues and if it finds any it will attempt to fix them.

May I know where you purchased your software online from?

Lets try to uninstall again. Go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall and reboot the computer. Then go to Useful Links athe top of this page and run the MCPR removal tool and reboot again. Follow the steps in this link from McAfee and run the McAfee Preinstall tool.

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100119

Login to your online McAfee account and download and install your software

Let us know how this works for you

bullwinkle131
Former Member
Message 3 of 75

Your suggestion seemed to work for about a week, then it deactived tonite and wanted $12.99 to reactivate. I did the same thing and it cleared ok for about 15 min then deactivated again.

Im thinking it might be seeing more than one computer, but I only have the one that is contected to a network. Was working fine for a couple of months.

McAfee is no help as I can't talk with anyone and their Email is not accessible.

Thanks

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 75

Hi Bullwinkle131,

Could you please send me a private message with the email address that you have registered with McAfee products . To send me private message, click on the Avatar and click send private message.

Please do not post your email address here due to security reasons.

Regards,
Dinesh  K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

ikendall
Former Member
Message 5 of 75

I seem to have the same problem as the poster above.

The message McAfee deactivated appears but a verify subscription check confirms that the subscription is valid. Reactivating the subscription against the PC works for a few minutes then back to the deactivated message again.

I've tried both the virtual technician (it won't load) and the process suggested by the online moderator (still get the deactivated message).

Windows 7 security status suggests McAfee is on!

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful to receive them before I throw something at the screen!

bullwinkle131
Former Member
Message 6 of 75

Finally got mine fixed

Had to get on chat with Mcafee help

I waited until about 1:00 am and was able to hook up with a gal named Sarah. After answering a bunch of questions and her verifing my subscription was valid, she asked to remotely take control of my computer. She did a bunch of things and then my mcafee was reactivated and has been ever since.

I had to restart my computer and my wireless takes so long to reconnect that the session timed out and never heard from her again. I think she was an angel but don't tell anyone.

Anyway, try the Mcafee help chat line early in the morning as this is probably the less busy time or angels may be awake then.

Good Luck

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 75

That's good news.  Good luck!

ikendall
Former Member
Message 8 of 75

You'll be pleased to know that contacting Mcafee Help Chat worked and the problem is resolved. Unfortunately no explanation was given so I don't know if this will recur or cause problems for others.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 75

Great, let's hope it stays that way.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/09/10 8:11:01 EDT PM
ku4a
Former Member
Message 10 of 75

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread as I have the exact same problem. Rather than let my PC sit unprotected, I uninstalled McAfee and installed the FREE Microsoft Security Essentials. But, I was curious as to whether or not there is a solution. Doesn't look like I'm eligible for a pro-rated refund, so I'm out 10 months of my $52.99 annual subscription.

If I understand correctly what I read here, the only fix is to get on help chat and wait, then someone will wave a magic wand and fix the problem. You'd think they'd want to make the process easier. In any event, someday in my infinite spare time I might re-install McAfee then go through the help process.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Chris

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community