cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fizzicist
Former Member
Message 11 of 75

Re: McAfee keeps deactivating

I have also been trying to get this problem fixed on my computer.  I have been receiving a daily countdown for a week before "Total Protection" makes good on its promise and deactivates.  The first time, a fee of $2.50 was requested for additional licenses.  The second time it had increased to $3.00.

I have progressed through Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 support.  After providing a convenient time to call me, apart from today, I have either received no call or a call after the window that I provided.  The technical support people have now wasted in excess of 10 hours of my time and still have no solution for me.  I am also ineligible for a prorated refund.  Unlike Chris though, I am only losing 89 days of my subscription.  In frustration, I decided to uninstall McAfee's software. With the program removed from all three computers on my network, my account still shows that I am using one of three licenses.

I have mixed feelings about finding this thread.  It is a bit of a relief to know that it is not just my computer or something that I have done.  On the other hand, it adds to my frustration knowing that other people are experiencing the same problem and it has not been fixed.

Ted.

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 75

Could you post a service support number on this issue? I see that you have been jumping the hoops but the number may help resolving the issue faster as more of the technicians can look up the logs and continue to troubleshoot further.

ricadink
Former Member
Message 13 of 75

I have had the same problem...four times. In May, I purchased a 3-license copy of McAfee Total Protection and installed it on our three [brand new] computers at home. Ever since then, I have had this deactivation problem on all three computers (twice on one of them). Everything appears to work fine and then one day, one of them mysteriously has been "deactivated" even though the subscription is good until 19 May 2011. Logging into the account online is no help: sometimes it is fine (all three licenses in use, one by each computer) and other times it says I'm using more than three (???) or less than three but the one that is supposedly deactivated isn't the computer showing the issue.

I have [reluctantly] used the online chat service each time to resolve the issue (since they make you pay extra to talk to a real person). Three of the times, the tech wanted to control my computer - which I am not comfortable with, but it appeared I had no choice if I wanted the problem resolved. One of the four times, however, the tech simply told me what to do, which was the better solution to the problem since it only involved clicking options to update the software! Why do they need to control my computer to simply click "Check for updates"?

At any rate, each time I'm assured that the problem won't happen again, that it's something to do with faulty updates. Yet the problem keeps returning. And I keep getting the same excuse each time. Twice I've been told that I could uninstall and reinstall the software...but that doesn't work either. I did that long ago, before I ever contacted support the first time (and I did do it precisely as stated previously in this thread because I'd found another similar thread recommending the same thing). And I got the same results as others: worked for only a very short period of time before showing "deactivated" again.

Either way, this is positively rediculous. It's been less than four months and I've had the problem four times (on three different computers). I don't have time for this kind of nonsense. I had been a Norton customer for almost 10 years and never had any significant issues. A couple of colleagues kept recommending McAfee products though so when I purchased the three new computers for home, I decided [against my better judgment] to give them a try. But I've had it. I'll try and put up with it for a bit longer (because I have 8 months left on my subscription) but one thing is now certain: I'm done with McAfee products after this.

And to ice the cake, I keep getting those emails to reply whether the issue is resolved...so I follow the instructions and respond appropriately...and I've gotten six more copies of the same email since the last time I responded.

Unbelievable. (Or not since that seems to be the norm for customer service in nearly all arenas these days.)

ku4a
Former Member
Message 14 of 75

Suffice it to say, I will never purchase another product from McAfee, and will discourage others from doing so.

Chris Gay

KU4A

thisthat524
Former Member
Message 15 of 75

Yes, I've been having this awful frustrating problem within the last three weeks every since that stupid Mcafee software updated itself. I've been trying to uninstall it, wait a few hours and then reinstall it and my subscription is fine and dandy. But then later when it starts updating itself that's when it starts to happen. I have done this process at least 11 times. I am getting sick of it. I've tried the suggestions here to no avail. and Tech support wasn't really helpful at all. I'm thinking about switching to Norton now.

TJerome
Former Member
Message 16 of 75

I am becoming very familiar with the frustration of this deactivation issue.  It is so maddening to have paid for a service that you are not getting!!!! I recently renewed my subscription to 3-User McAfee Internet Security having no problem during the last year.  Suddenly I am having this deactivation problem where one of my licences for a particular machine keeps deactivating!!! I would proceed to reinstall the mcafee software and the first time I had to do it, it lasted a few weeks.  It happened again yesterday and I reinstalled, in a matter of minutes it was back to deactivated!!!  It isn't right to have to go through all of this garbage for something you paid for especially from a 'reputable' supplier such as McAfee. I also have my limits for what I am willing to go through in terms of support since as a Caribbean customer there may be a bit more difficulty to get through to speak to someone.  I hope I am able to find a solution to this soon cause I have just about had enough!!!

Message was edited by: TJerome on 9/27/10 9:21:25 AM CDT
ku4a
Former Member
Message 17 of 75

I've been talking to a lot of people lately about "pay" anti-virus software. The poor reputation of McAfee is pretty well known. A lot of people are throwing away their Norton stuff, too.

Chris Gay

KU4A

user_10107
Contributor
Message 18 of 75

I've used McAfee for a long time but I'm now having the same problem described in this post since I renewed/upgraded in July 2010.  I spent an hour on the phone with McAfee support twice for the problem to still come back again.  I have 4 computers and 5 licenses.  One SPARE license and still a computer will deactivate.  The online license list was often incorrect showing the same computer with two active licenses (consuming the spare).  Also, it shows an old computer that I no longer have and it keeps a running count of how many days it has been unprotected and wants me to re-new.  I asked support to delete this record and they said it can't be done. I couldn’t believe it!  What a GREAT product!!  I've uninstalled McAfee and will never use the product again at home.  I’m now trying Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes as a standalone scanner.  Bye-Bye McAfee and Good Riddance!

Frustrated
Former Member
Message 19 of 75

I have had the same problem as many other posters in this thread. The only reason I used McAfee was it came free with my Dell purchase. After using it for a year and having no trouble, I figured I would go against my normal course of action and purchase a subscription for the next two years - after all, it worked great for the last year, right? Two weeks after purchase of update, I got the "Your software is deactivated" with a prompt to purchase another license. Fixed this with online chat support. This weekend (the following week after original incident) it happened again. After three sessions, promises to be sent emails with information from tech support (which never came, checked spam trap as well), I was told that I needed to purchase a $90.00 virus removal session from them. Seriously! I fixed the problem by uninstalling software and downloading Comodo, which detected and removed 4 trojans (for free). Having trouble believing the McAfee is not just a money pit. Why would I need to pay an additional fee after having paid the pile of money for a product that failed to protect (firewall was on and set high, product was never turned off).

Does anyone know if there is a way to get any form of refund? Having trouble navigating their lack of information support areas - and trying to do this with a 16 month old child climbing around.

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 75

I am sorry to hear of your issue(s). McAfee has a 30 day window for refunds and you need to contact Customer Service at the top of this page under Useful Links.

Good Luck in the future

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community