cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LoveBourges
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

McAfee installing updates every time I turn computer off

I noticed a few weeks ago that McAffee was installing updates quite regularly.  Now it installs updates nearly every time I turn my computer off.  Can anyone help me figure out what is going on?   It's set up to automatically install updates, so I am wondering what is going on.

5 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee installing updates every time I turn computer off

Post your versions and builds of security centre and virusscan.

Once I have that will see if I see an issue/cause

sgrimmel
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 6

Please also state environment and ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) managed or not.

Many thanks

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

I noticed a few weeks ago that McAffee was installing updates quite regularly.  Now it installs updates nearly every time I turn my computer off.

Do you mean that it installs them when you turn your computer back on again? I'm guessing you don't leave it running 24 hours a day .. if that's so I know what you mean, because I've watched the processes that run at startup. When McAfee kicks in it will do an automatic check for updates, and (in my case) notify me if any are ready for download; in your case download and install automatically.

The reason you will have noticed that updates are being downloaded so often recently is that, over the past few days at least, McAfee has been issuing a stream of DAT updates at what looks like a higher rate than usual. This may be connected to a spate of announcements from major software companies of patches to their products to fix security flaws. At any rate, McAfee seems to be working overtime to rush out the updates.

I'm assuming that you're running McAfee on a PC at home, not in an office? Things may be different if you have the Enterprise version.

If (see Peacekeeper) your versions and build are fine, then I think what you're seeing is just the results of McAfee being highly efficient and on the ball.

ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 6

Just moving this over to our Home and Home Office area for better visibility / attention.

LoveBourges
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Someone suggested that maybe one or more of the updates, for whatever reason, didn't take.  So I went through Microsoft to see if that was the trouble, and it seemed to be the problem in my case.  One of the updates was not installing.  Once I found out the error code, I followed their directions.  Don't remember exactly what steps, and because I know nothing about the workings of the computer, maybe you can decifer this better than me.  But I went into Control Panel and somehow ended up repairing .NET Framework 4.0--does this make sense?  Anyway, after repairing that, I went back and tried to install the update again, and it worked.  So I am keeping my fingers crossed, and hope that this settles the problem.

Thanks for your responses.  I know where to go the next time I have trouble!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community