cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
organon1973
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

McAfee icon not showing in tray following Windows 10 upgrade

My McAfee icon is no longer showing in the tray following my upgrade from 8.1. Is this right? Your assistance appreciated; thank you.

10 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Re: McAfee icon not showing in tray following Windows 10 upgrade

I assume you tried rebooting again?  It may help to turn off Fast Boot in Win 10 as that prevents it from ever properly shutting down.

See:  Windows 10 Forums

If that doesn't help it may be because your installed version isn't compatible.

I would completely uninstall via Control Panel > Programs and Features, reboot.

Run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot.

Install from your online account.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 3 of 11

Hi Ex_Brit,

The Fast Boot option is no longer there on Computers that Dual Boot. The PrtScrn Snapshot comes from Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 10240 that came from via Windows Update. On Computers, that Dual Boot and the Insider Build, does indeed have that in a Dual Boot Scenario.

2015-08-10 - Fast Boot Option not there in Dual Boot Upgrades.jpg

2015-08-10 - Turn on Fast startup.jpg

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

Yes it is, click  that line in blue "Change settings that are currently unavailable"

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 5 of 11

Hi Ex_Brit,

You are right, but only if you can see the option Turn on fast startup (recommended)

On the Upgrade over top of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Service Pack 1, the option is not there.

2015-08-10 - Fast Boot Option not there in Dual Boot Upgrades 2.jpg

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

That's weird. Are you logged in as an Administrator?  Mine is also a Win 7 upgrade and it's there on mine.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 7 of 11

Mine is a Custom-Built Computer. Both Desktop Computers have been Custom Built. Both have been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 10240, over top of Windows 7.

Both are not showing Turn on fast startup (recommended).

2015-08-11 - No Turn on fast startup option.jpg

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 11

It's not apparent that you have clicked the line I mentioned:

Capture.JPG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

BTW, any help with that should be asked elsewhere such as here:  Windows 10 Forums

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 10 of 11

Re: Re: McAfee icon not showing in tray following Windows 10 upgrade

Hi Ex_Brit,

I don't need help, as if when I shutdown the computer from Windows 10 and boot into Windows XP, Check Disk / Now / or Scan Disk after turning on the computer again, does not run. Windows 10, is not leaving the Hard Drive's partitions dirty. Therefore, Turn on fast startup, isn't installed, which in my case, isn't needed or missed. Nor is my posting here, was seeking help.

I was only trying to inform you, not all installations had Turn on fast startup installed.

Turn on fast startup (recommended), should been seen, before that line, you pointed out was clicked. But it can't be changed, unless clicked.

Now, getting back to McAfee, McAfee needs to be uninstalled, prior to Upgrading, to allow for a Successful Upgrade, then if the User wants to, can download and install McAfee / Intel Security.

But, I am waiting to reinstall McAfee / Intel Security, until you can excluded files and folders from being scanned by Real-Time Scanning, as you can with Windows Defender.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community