cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
magma2
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

McAfee firewall slowing down internet connection to a crawl

After having my isp (cox) check out my internet connection from their end, even thinking that perhaps my hardware was having problems, I narrowed the extremely slow internet connection to McAfee's firewall.

With the firewall active speedtest.net cannot even complete the test.  With it off the test flies and everything is the way it should be.

This problem surfaced a couple of weeks ago, but only now have I finally been able to trace the problem to McAfee.

A friend suggested I scrap McAfee, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this problem and if there is a solution?

Thanks.

22 Replies
jaymfe
Former Member
Message 2 of 23

Re: McAfee firewall slowing down internet connection to a crawl

Hi There,

We need some information,

• What is the OS installed and Service Pack
  • Version of SecurityCenter and Personal Firewall
  • What are the browsers you are using

Could you please try below steps and let us know the status,

• Try resetting Firewall setting ( Firewall Settings >> click on "Restore Defaults" buton)
  • Check if your browser has full access enabled
  • Please try to access internet after disabling NetGuard ( Firewall Settings >> Click on Netguard Drawer and uncheck the NetGuard and click on Apply Button)
jimaffee
Contributor
Message 3 of 23

I have had exactly the same problem for approximately 3 weeks.

I have..

Windows Vista Home Premium service pack 2

McAfee Security center 11.0.654

Personal Firewall 12.0.345

Browser Google Chrome 18.0.1025.152

approx average speed with firewall on and netguard off 7.1Mbps

approx average speed with firewall off 9.4Mbps

thanks

luxor2
Former Member
Message 4 of 23

I had the same problem with Chrome , downloads being stopped and Adobe flash not working. The problem I found was with the McFee Firewall and a feature called Net Guard.. Try opening MaFee Security as an administrator. Click on firewall and then settings in the upper right corner. Click on Internet connections and it should turn blue. At the bottom click on edit and find Chrome. When the wondow opens turn Net Guard off by clicking the box.

When I did this Chrome regained its speed, downloads worked again and flash player worked.

PS Idon't know if its safe but it a whole lot less agravating to have the things work again.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 23

Safe and a fix will be coming out shortly. At least when it is Qa'd and added to a patch .

ruune
Contributor
Message 6 of 23

What's the status on this? I've got roadrunner wideband, and am having the same issue. I've gotten corrupted downloads, dropped connections, freezing remote desktops, and randomly unresponsive internet connection. I currently license McAfee on several systems, and at this point the firewall is unusable.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 23

Does disabling netguard fix this for you. That issue is as I said coming I do not have a date but the fix has been prepared and is being tested.

Of course if your issue is another cause that is a different kettle of fish.

I wonder have you monitored the task manager while this is happening? Just wondering if another part of Mcafee could be causing this.  Monitor CPU use.

gsbhange
Contributor
Message 8 of 23

Hi Guys,

Do we have a patch available for download yet?

My system details:

• OS/Service Pack -- Win 7 SP1
    • SecurityCenter --
      • Version: 11.0
      • Build: 11.0.654
      • Affld: 105-618
      • Last update: 13/01/2012
    • Personal Firewall --
      • Version: 12.0
      • Build: 12.0.345
      • Last update 15/01/2012
    • What are the browsers you are using
      • Mozilla FF
      • Chrome
      • IE9

I also found that if I enable "Full" access to all programs instead just Chrome/other browsers, internet works good.

If the fix is delayed, please provide a workaround.

klinker
Former Member
Message 9 of 23

In regards to Runne's post about Time Warner Roadrunner and internet problems, I have the same problem. I contacted Time Warner (thinking it was maybe an issue on their end) and the second question asked after "have you made any system changes" was "do you use McAfee?" Apparently a significant number of McAfee problems bogging down internet connections according to them. They suggested I contact McAfee for technical assistance or change security suites. Point being ISP's are now suggesting dumping McAfee because the lack of a timely fix is causing their customer base dissatisfaction and they're taking the blame for poor internet service when it's actually tied back to McAfee.

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 23

Did disabling netguard help?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community