cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ortegaseason
Contributor II
Message 1 of 7

McAfee affected by PC crash. Is it working now?

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I had my PC crash yesterday most likely due to operating system issues.  I’ve got it back to working okay for the time being but it looks like the crash had an effect on my McAfee internet security.  After the crash McAfee wasn’t appearing on the task bar and Windows Action Centre said that it had been turned off.  When I tried to turn it on through the action centre it wasn’t responding, although I was able to turn Windows defender through the same way.  I also couldn’t open the programme through the start menu, there was just no response  . I tried uninstalling McAfee but that was producing no response either accept a white box with blue text which said “Navigation to the webpage was cancelled”. 

I then went to my McAfee account online and deactivated McAfee and then reinstalled it from the website just to see what would happen (keep in mind I hadn’t actually uninstalled it).  It appears to have worked and the icon is now showing in my taskbar and I can open the programme itself and it appears to be running normally.

What can I do to confirm that it definitely is installed/running properly and isn’t causing any problems on the system?

Thanks for any assistance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ortegaseason
Contributor II
Message 6 of 7

Re: McAfee affected by PC crash. Is it working now?

Jump to solution

It looks like everything is fine with McAfee now.  Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Probably worked but better to have removed via windows control panel reboot and run MCPR the removal tool and reboot and reeinsatll as per what you did from your account. that clears out the left over files. Your way overwrote some corrupted files I assume and now working fine, If shows protected in the interface should be good.

Remove McAfee

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

You could run the MVT  Virtual technician program to see if it says all ok

MVT

ortegaseason
Contributor II
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response.  I want to try and uninstall and reinstall it again just to make sure there aren't any problems.  On the "Remove McAfee" link you've included it says you should only use the MCPR tool if removal via the windows control panel doesn't work.  Is this correct or should I still use MCPR even if the control panel uninstall does work? Thanks

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Yes use the MCPR tool after using removing from the Control Panel/Programs and Features.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
ortegaseason
Contributor II
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

It looks like everything is fine with McAfee now.  Thanks for your help.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Glad that all is okay now

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community