cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gwytherj
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

McAfee Will not Start.

When my PC is started it will not automatically activate McAfee and offers a message -

McAfee Security Centre has stopped working. A problem caused the programme to stop working correctly. Windows will close the programme and notify you if a soliution is available.

If I click on the McAfee programme icon on the tool bar it comes up with the message -

mcagent - Application error. The application failed to initialize  properly (0xc000009a). Click OK to terminate the application.

I tried re-starting the PC which sometimes fixes it but is a real pain to have to do every time.

Can anyone suggest a solution. I'd prefer not to go through the pain of re-loading the programme.

Thanks,

Gwyther Joyce

9 Replies
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 2 of 10

Re: McAfee Will not Start.

Hi gwytherj,

Try to run McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT) this is an automated self-healing tool that can diagnose and fix many problems related to your McAfee product.

You can download and run McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT) from mvt.mcafee.com

gwytherj
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Have installed and run MVT (twice) without any effect, McAfee will not start. I get same error messages.

Can you suggest any other ideas please.

Thanks Gwytherj

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 10

The 0xc9a error is one which we have seen a lot this past week, and running MVT usually does fix the problem. As Jai Prakash has responded to your first post I will give him the opportunity to suggest any further action you could take. You may need to use the Support option, but Jai will advise you on that.

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Hi,

It appears like this issue needs some more diagnostics, I have sent you an e-mail requesting for more details on the same. Kindly have it replied so that we can help you better on this issue.

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Hi gwytherj,

Kindly update me on the Current McAfee Product Status once after updating it.

gwytherj
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Thank you Jai, really great service in correcting the problem with my pc. McAfee products are all working normally now.

Thanks again, Gwytherj

seshi
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

hello jaiprakash ive started having the same problem aswell, ive tried to use MVT but it cant seem to find no products the error message 0xc000009a keeps coming up, help please

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Hi Seshi,

Use the below link to remove all the installed McAfee products:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

& you can reinstall the McAfee software back from home.mcafee.com

user_17100
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

McAffee has now provided a solution to this problem. Please follow the link -http://service.mcafee.com/faq/TS101446.htm

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community