cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bprinks
Former Member
Message 11 of 16

Re: McAfee VirusScan Update locks up Windows 7

Thanks, Ex_Brit. However, when I ran the sfc /scannow command I get a message that states "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again." When I try to run the "shutdown" command I get a message that it is not a valid command. When I force a shutdown by holding down the power button I not sure that qualiies as a reboot. The heading of the command box is "Administrator:X:\windows\system 32\cmd.exe. Could that be part of the problem?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 16

Sounds to me like Windows is completely corrupted.  Have you been using registry cleaners?   If so, stop.

I think at this stage, if it were me, I'd be thinking about a format and reinstallation of Windows as painful as it sounds.

That would almost certainly get rid of any infection and whatever it is that's causing this.

This is Windows 7 right?  You might want to ask a few questions over at Seven Forums.

PrakashMcAfee
Contributor III
Message 13 of 16

Hi,

Please try this trouble shooting steps and I hope it will help you to fix the problem .

After McAfee update BSOD Click here..

bprinks
Former Member
Message 14 of 16

Ex_Brit, I took the computer to the Geek Squad today to accomplish what you suggested since my recovery disk resided on the hard drive. You can bet I will be making a set of recovery disks as soon as I get the computer back. Prakash A, thanks for the information you provided I will also put that to use. Thanks for your responses.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 16

All the best 😉

Harlemite
Former Member
Message 16 of 16

I have McAfee VirusScan 2011 Udate on a Windows 7 Hp tablet and a Windows Vista HP desktop. When I turn off the Realtime Scan feature both computers shut down correctly..when its on ..they hang on logoff. Is this a bug in the software? I don't understand why I have to shut realtime scanning off manually before I can shutdown correctly. Anybody????

Message was edited by: Harlemite on 2/4/11 1:54:51 AM CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community