cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sicnarf
Contributor III
Message 1 of 2

McAfee Total Protection and Internet Explorer 11?

Jump to solution

Back in January when I was having problems with my computer/ McAfee, which turned out to be a Trojan that McAfee couldn't find but Malwarebytes did, and I came here for help somewhere in the various posts  made reference to McAfee being dependent on IE 11 for it's operation?

Is "that" factoid" true? Can it be substantiated through McAfee help?

I'm in a Catch 22 situation. I have a legacy  Lexmark printer that ceased functioning. Innuendo says it's a conflict with IE 11 and I've found no work around on line and it's a 6 year old machine no longer supported by Lexmark who got out of the "consumer" business a couple of years ago. The printer has only run 1615 pages through it in 6 years.

I want to uninstall IE 11 and go back to IE 10. But if McAfee is dependent on IE 11 I quests I won't.

So if someone can point me to something that verifies McAfee's dependency on IE 11 I'd appreciate it.

Sic

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

Re: McAfee Total Protection and Internet Explorer 11?

Jump to solution

McAfee relies on IE for display and functionality but it doesn't have to be your default browser.   You could try going back to IE10 if you must but if McAfee acts up then that could be to blame.  Also remember that IE11 is Microsoft's most secure browser yet.

If it were me I'd sacrifice the Lexmark in order to know I'm secure.   (Had bad experiences with Lexmark printers anyway, so now use Canon exclusively.)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 2

Re: McAfee Total Protection and Internet Explorer 11?

Jump to solution

McAfee relies on IE for display and functionality but it doesn't have to be your default browser.   You could try going back to IE10 if you must but if McAfee acts up then that could be to blame.  Also remember that IE11 is Microsoft's most secure browser yet.

If it were me I'd sacrifice the Lexmark in order to know I'm secure.   (Had bad experiences with Lexmark printers anyway, so now use Canon exclusively.)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community