cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 51 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

Yes I doubt very much if such a McAfee run section would ever come about.   These forums are mainly peer-to-peer support and it would simply be too complex to monitor by us with people starting their own threads too, often mulriple times.

Plus often issues only apply to a certain group of customers or in very special circumstances.    We've talked about this in the past and it was shot down by McAfee I'm afraid.   They don't have the time to do such a thing anyway as they are busy fixing things and we are the liaison between them and you.

I know McAfee staff are seen posting from time to time, expecially in Enterprise but they don't as a rule patrol the forums looking for things.  We point out growing problems to them as much as we can.    The support technicians you deal with on the phone or online chat sessions are in another organization entirely which reports to McAfee.   Such a section would be a rather complicated setup with all the fingers in the pie so to speak.

Nice idea though and thanks for suggesting it.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/10/12 7:53:26 EDT AM
Bobcat
Former Member
Message 52 of 149

Re: McAfee Total Protection, Memory leak in fwpkclnt.sys after update 11.09.2012

One could argue that McAfee should issue Release Notes, listing problems resolved and known problems.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 53 of 149

It's been suggested, at least for updates and upgrades, but unfortunately that idea was not greeted with unqualified enthusiasm.

It's a question of priorities.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 54 of 149

Bobcat wrote:

One could argue that McAfee should issue Release Notes, listing problems resolved and known problems.

beheer wrote:          (Post #45)

Just make a thread in the forum with: "Known problems" for each separate Product

... (we need)

- information about a known issue with their software

- information on when it will be fixed, or at least how things are progressing.

Both these ideas are worth considering, and McAfee could probably implement them if we could persuade them that there would be some tangible benefit to the company. The Known Problems section would be better placed outside of this user area, somewhere on the McAfee website but with a link to it from the red toolbar. Both Chrome and Mozilla have a section detailing known issues, with workarounds and (in the case of Mozilla) some indication at least via the Bugzilla pages of what progress is being made to resolve a problem. With a security product we perhaps shouldn't expect too much in the way of technical detail (in case that gives malware authors too much information on areas of weakness that they could target), but a page of issues known about and being worked on would be helpful. It all comes down to the relative importance to McAfee of corporate and consumer customers, and the resources devoted to looking after each group of customers ...

As Peter says, McAfee management rarely come here to see what their customers are saying. There are certain honorable exceptions - SafeBoot, Tracey Romine, and a couple of others (Peter Meyer from SiteAdvisor, until he moved on) - but the visits from really senior McAfee people are rare. They rely on getting a condensed and filtered summary of major topics from the moderators in the conference calls. Whatever we say, they only receive an abbreviated summary (if that). And the forum issues only really get attention when page views go over about a hundred thousand, which isn't often. Too many people go elsewhere to try to get help with McAfee issues, so the real indicator of issue seriousness for McAfee is calls to Support. If Support are reporting a spike in call volumes then the issue gets McAfee's attention. Here, spikes in postings about an issue - not so much.

For what it's worth I will put an item on the next conference call recommending that McAfee set up sections, with links to them from the main page here, for Known Issues and for monitoring Work In Progress.

Bobcat
Former Member
Message 55 of 149

With a security product we perhaps shouldn't expect too much in the way of technical detail (in case that gives malware authors too much information on areas of weakness that they could target),

Good point.

csylvain
Former Member
Message 56 of 149

what sticks in my craw is this has been going on for quite a while.  there was something obviously not right with my system.  extremely long waits just to sleep or hibernate for one symptom.

are there really so few McAfee employees who "eat the dogfood" ?  or there are, but they don't know how to pay attention to this kind of stuff.  it went on so long without 'magically' going away (via an update), i was well motivated to track it down to the nonpaged memory pool tag "Fwpx".

the fact that it took barely 30mins once i brought the appropriate tools to bear does not speak well of the employees who should be on top of this kind of thing.

the result of extending my loyalty to this product has gained yet one more mark in the negative column.  it has not been the first but it really should be the last time anything of this magnitude happens.

lotty
Contributor
Message 57 of 149

FYI bobcat posting yesterday on my posting

Got another new version tonight (11.6.435 / 15.6.231) and the problem is NOT fixed.

postings that seem to be same issue are

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/47463?start=90&tstart=0

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/48661?tstart=0

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/49170?tstart=0

aaronmefford
Former Member
Message 58 of 149

I identifed this very same problem indepenently about two weeks ago and then found this forum posting.  I made no comment at the time because it seemed pointless.  Supposedly a fix was forthcoming. 

Here I am now a few weeks later and still suffering from this problem.  Prior to this I rebooted once every couple weeks or more.  Now I have to reboot daily.  Yesterday I rebooted in the morning and did not finish a days work before I was out of memory completely.   As it stands now I rebooted 5 minutes ago, had 55MB nonpaged used at start up and now have used 371 while I logged in to write this post.  Oh wait 374,376 and 378... literally just ticking up as I write.  I have 8GB of ram on my computer and cannot make it through a day without McAfee consuming it all, 398. 

If McAfee is confused in thinking that only those people posting here are suffering then they are quite confused.  First of all it is quite common that only one in 10 or fewer will take the time to post when viewing a forum like this.  McAfee can easily verify this by scanning their Apache logs, but are probably too lazy.  Second, this was not an easy problem to diagnose.  I did not suspect McAfee at all when I started, despite McAfee's recent proclivity to causing me system troubles. That is task manager did not attribute this to McAfee process, or really any process or service at all. I had to do a bit of research online learnin how to debug the non paged pool and install a number of tools from different sources to finally comeback to te fact that it was memory lost on behalf of fwpkclnt.sys, part of mcafee(525). 

I am a programmer and very skilled in IT.  I can only imagine how many people are now sufferring with their computers crashing out of memory with no idea whom to call or where to begin.  They barely know where to look to find the task manager i that.  That won't help them identify the problem so they are lost.  I would not have found this post without having gone through the process myself.  What keywords do you use to search when your computer just starts rebooting periodically out of memory.  Most will reboot and it will be fine again until its not, which is too late to start debugging.

I am so upset about this.  Many people look to me for advice when it comes to things like antivirus.  My advice for years has been buy McAfee, it is worth it and it just works.  It doesn't use as many system resources as symantec.  Well over the last year McAfee has started to prove me wrong (618).  First I started having major issues with all of my XP machines (still happenning), now this on my newest machines.  I have 6 personal licenses.  I didnt really want to renew them when they came due this summer but they auto-renewed somehow with an expired cc and so I let it go.  Now I am really regretting that decission (664). 

This problem must be resolved ASAP.  I've lost over 600MB to this problem while writing this post, that I won't be able to recover till I reboot.

lotty
Contributor
Message 59 of 149

aronmefford:

Welcome. if you want to see other posts on this same topic then look at the post before your post above and click on those links.

It was also hard for me to initially isolate the problem to McAfee. If you goto my link i have posted several logs of memory progression from a clean boot. My PC will crash in 2 hours.

We just have to wait for the fix.

daveett
Former Member
Message 60 of 149

First I would like to thank everyone here for the posts as they have saved me (I am sure) hours and hours of researching and playing to find a solution (where none exists ?). I too am having the same problems with memory continually being massed and not releasing.

Does anyone know if a solution has been found to the problem ? Is the only solution to uninstall McAfee ?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community