cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Artemys
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

McAfee Total Protection Firewall blocking all internet Access

I just upgraded to Total Protection from AntiVirus Plus, everything was going good, after I restarted my PC (The last prompt during installation), when I logged onto Windows all internet traffic was blocked. I've tweaked settings on Security Center but I can't figure it out, currently the ONLY way I can manage is by completely turning off the Firewall.

I've tried Restoring Defaults on the Firewall but traffic is still blocked. This never happened before I and I can't figure it out.

Some assistance please anyone ^^;

4 Replies
Artemys
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee Total Protection Firewall blocking all internet Access

Too add a few things, I upgraded from Anti Virus Plus 2010 to Total Protection 2011, I used the disk, it removed Anti Virus Plus 2010 and installed the latest version of Total Protection 2011 including online updates,

I'm using Windos 7 64Bit Home Premium on a custom Built PC.

Again to clarify this issue started when I upgraded to Total Protection, 20minutes ago with Anti Virus Plus I had no issues whatsoever.

Nothing I change on the Firewall EXCEPT turning it off will allow me internet access. Windows Firewall is off, and there's nothing else running besides McAfee.

McAfee Personal Firewall

Version: 12.0

Build: 12.0.335

Last Update: 6/25/2011

Edit: I found this post, my problem looks to be exactly this.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/189576?tstart=0

Message was edited by: Artemys on 6/25/11 7:25:37 PM CDT
jaymfe
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

A simple thought,

• Run Windows update and install all important and optional updates
  • Restart the computer to safe mode with networking.
  • Restore Firewall settings to default.
  • Turn off Firewall, run McAfee update.
  • Restart the computer to normal mode and turn on Firewall

Let me know the status after the above steps.

Artemys
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

• Run Windows update and install all important and optional updates
    • I always do this so this suggestion can be scratched.
  • Restart the computer to safe mode with networking.
    • Same issue
  • Restore Firewall settings to default.
    • I mentioned in the first post I had done this already.
  • Turn off Firewall, run McAfee update.
    • Very first thing I tried.
  • Restart the computer to normal mode and turn on Firewall
    • Tried this also. Did not help, was hoping it would.

I've managed to fix the issue, I ran the Virtual technitian and it found nothing wrong. After trying everything else, I decided to completely uninstall McAfee and re-install it, however this time I didn't allow the Auto-Update when prompted (Infact i disconnected the internet). After the installation was finished, I then updated and the issue was fixed, was really weird as I'll never know what happened and why. I did a lot of googling and found this issue come up a few times. My thought's are either a file corrupted during installation (It was never interrupted in any phase) or something was missed the first time and Virtual Technician didn't detect it.

companyclerk
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

My dear Mr/Ms Jayadeep,

I being of sound mind and body...

The first thing you suggested is; Run windows update. 

So I remind you of the subject of this posting:  McAfee Total Protection Firewall blocking all internet Access

I am using a different computer to find a solution for the same exact problem, so now if you can answer the original question...

So I remind you of the subject of this posting: McAfee Total Protection Firewall blocking ALL internet Access

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community