cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jetta53
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

McAfee Services Host Shutting Down

I have spent a couple of days trying to figure this out and have run all - Get Susp - Virtual Technician - Malwrebytes - Windows screens - Super Antispyware - McAfee (that won't update) MSCPRXfix and I don't know what all else - All the suggestions that others have tried - This morning same problem so I restarted and imediately started Virtual Technician and also Task manager to see if McAfee Services host was running - windows gives me a message when it says service host not working and shut down - but when screening for security say McAfee says it is working

This all started just before Christmas (I am thinking December 22 update for reasons that will follow)

Virtual Technician today said C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvHost not running and when it tried to repair couldn't repair it - there is also a language issue

In task manager listing services I have

C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvHost with the word platform created December 22, 2012 - the one that doesn't work

I also have

C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvHost  without the word platform created on July 30-2011 - Everything work great I think up to the last update - I can't even do manual updates

Other info

Running Vista

Question - Should I somehow delete this one that is not running and go back to old one that did?  If so how do I do it?

I have attached a pdf that shows screens on McSvHost

Thanks

Jetta53

12 Replies
jetta53
Former Member
Message 2 of 13

Re: McAfee Services Host Shutting Down

I missed this screenshot from Virtual Technician

Capture.JPG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 13

1. Are you running Registry Cleaners?  Those often cause major issues and are not recommended.  If yes, try their restore function.

2.  Is this Vista SP2 and does it have the latest updates including IE9 fully updated?

3.  What name & version of McAfee software are you using?  Open it and click 'About'.

4.  Is your System Clock accurate?

5.. Have you had any other strange happenings, popups etc. that would indicate malware?

jetta53
Former Member
Message 4 of 13

Don't know what registry cleaners are so not likely

Vista is SP2 - I try to do all updates from Windows

IE9 says 9.0.8112.16421 - I don't use chrome or other add ons from Google

McAfee Total Protection - 205 days left - see below

System Clock on lower right of screen is accurate if that is wht is important?

Is the occurance of two services hosts trying to or actually running significant?

I see last update was December 22, 2012 which I thought No components other than Anti Virus and Anti Spyware have updated since.  Virus and Spyware updated today which is interesting so it may be running

version.JPG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 13

Sounds OK.  I assume you're on an 'always on' Internet connection?  

SecurityCenter itself only updates occasionally, it's further down - VirusScan and the engine date that matters, that should say today or yesterday at the most.

Capture.JPG

I was asking about the System Clock simply because if that isn't right all sorts of weird things can happen because the software thinks it's another time or day.

If the MVT isn't fixing things and it the software is throwing up errors all I can suggest is uninstall via Control Panel in the normal way, run the MCPR cleanup tool, listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from the online account.

Other than that Technical Support can help free of charge by phone or online chat and are linked under that same spot.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/01/13 4:45:58 EST PM
stanisluv
Contributor III
Message 6 of 13

Looks like smth really wrong in registry. Affid can`t be 0. MCPR should fix it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 13

Affid can be 0 stanisluv, mine is.  I've forgotten what it means but it does exist.

stanisluv
Contributor III
Message 8 of 13

but you are not a typical customer. Even I have ID smth like 0-3xx.

jetta53
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

I did the remove and reinstall.  Now is

Capturepostreinstall.JPG

It made me remove malwarebytes before it would install.  Then on reboot after install I got same old message that services host not running so I rebooted and downloaded MVT which showed no problems after anoter reboot.  I did get a message that said Windows Defender is not working and I need to turn it on.  I didn't turn it on yet as one note I think in checking security from Control Panel it says that Firewalls can be incompatible.

Thanks for the help so far.  I hope I am getting closer

Jetta

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 13

stanisluv wrote:

but you are not a typical customer. Even I have ID smth like 0-3xx.

Mine is retail.  I think Affid 0 is allocated by support, but not sure.    It's used to solve problems with upgrades.

Tony would know for sure.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/01/13 8:40:06 EST PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community