cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 191 of 365

Re: McAfee Service Host Problem

Ok keep us informed as to whether it comes back.

ws65711
Former Member
Message 192 of 365

Day two with both SiteAdvisor installed and Net Guard enabled, and still no errors.

If anyone wants to experiment,  my suggestion is to try this:

1. Uninstall SiteAdvisor
  2. Reboot
  3. Disable Net Guard
  4. Reboot
  5. Install SiteAdvisor
  6. Reboot
  7. Enable Net Guard

I've gone from having the error occur up to 9 or 10 times per day, to having no errors for the past two days.

The sequence that I've listed is the exact sequence that I've followed over the past several days, except that

in my case each "Reboot" was really a "Reboot and wait a day or more".

The only difference between this and my "original" install is that originally McAfee (with Net Guard enabled)

had been installed for months before I ever installed SiteAdvisor, and SiteAdvisor was installed WHILE Net

Guard was enabled.

Peacekeeper
Message 193 of 365

Interesting thanks for the testing. Any 1 else willing to see if that helps. My XP got SA installed with the Mcafee install.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 13/04/12 6:17:30 AM
ws65711
Former Member
Message 194 of 365

Well,  nevermind about the installation order making any difference.   Moments ago I had the error occur again.

Immediately after the error I disabled Net Guard once again.   Then I came here to report....

Peacekeeper
Message 195 of 365

As I said there is a netguard fix in development wait for that. Best way to go than stress over testing working or not

maneld
Former Member
Message 196 of 365

Good job WS6571, altough the sad end !

By the way, error returned with a McCafee update ? May be only a (dot)dat update.

In my case no errors since SA uninstalled, I'll keep my PC that way.

Regards

jlcavor
Former Member
Message 197 of 365

Last February I posted the following...

95. Feb 17, 2012 4:11 PM (in response to Peacekeeper)

I have been experiencing the svchost pop-up for months. I followed quite a few of the suggestions here to fix the problem. Some seemed to work for a week or so but the problem always returned. Three weeks ago I uninstalled McAfee SiteAdvisor. No more pop-ups since.

OS Win XP Professional SP3

IE 8.0

McAfee Security Center 11.0

McAfee Virus Scan 15.0

McAfee Personal Firewall 12.0

One solution that seems to work.

It is now April 14, and still no repeat of the error. Also, as reported earlier, I still have NetGuard active.

Peacekeeper
Message 198 of 365

OK seems SA is the issue for some I have it installed on my XP box and it is not causing issue as far as I see.

They do have a feel for what is causing this issue and need to schedule release of the patch with a scheduled patch download. When this will happens I am not privy to.

tomlane
Former Member
Message 199 of 365

This has been an issue since November (when this thread started), why, when I contacted support last week did they act like its a "brand new" problem ?

Peacekeeper
Message 200 of 365

Sigh that happens you got a SR job number so I can pass this on to get the tech updated better. He will not get into trouble just provide a better experience.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community