cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoberttheBruce
Former Member
Message 181 of 365

Re: McAfee Service Host Problem

I uninstalled SiteAdvisor but I've received one error message since. Excuse my ignorance but I don't even know what Netguard is, where to find it on my computer and even if it's needed.

Peacekeeper
Message 182 of 365

Open security centre and email and web protection and firewall .The netguard is an option at the bottom of firewall options. this is for 2011 versions security centre 11.*

RoberttheBruce
Former Member
Message 183 of 365

And if I uninstall/disable Netguard, will this compromise my Internet and e-mail Security ?

Peacekeeper
Message 184 of 365

Even the techs suggest it It and Siteadvisor work similiarly so as the last version never had it it will be fine to disable it if SA is still running.

They know the cause of the netguard issue and a fix is being looked at as to when they can release it.

ws65711
Former Member
Message 185 of 365

No errors today, with SiteAdvisor installed and Net Guard disabled.  Tomorrow I will re-enable Net Guard leaving SiteAdvisor installed (until the first error occurs).

chappers
Former Member
Message 186 of 365

I am absolutely furious about this issue now. I have been experiencing months of error messages with occasional browser crashes leading to a complete PC reboot. I am self employed and bill my clients on the basis of hours worked, so I dread to think how much chargeable time I have lost to dealing with this.

I was incredibly reluctant to uninstall Site Advisor (as recommended) because (a) it's part of the AV package provided and SHOULD work with the rest of the components and (b) uninstalling any part of my AV protection goes against my every being! What happens if I uninstall it and something happens to my system/client data etc.

Anyway, after yet more error message this morning and two browser crashes, I decided to bite the bullet and uninstall SA. What a disaster!!! NONE of my internet browsers would open at all. After spending over an hour on this today, I decided to reinstall SA, do yet another reboot and carry on. I guess I'll have to live with the error messages for now.

This is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE and has been going on for far too many people for far too long.

Please advise to who I write to in order to claim compensation for loss of earnings while I (the customer) have been trying to deal with this issue, and make a formal complaint.

Peacekeeper
Message 187 of 365

Disable netguard it should help if yours is caused by it or SA. As I said there appears to be a 3rd cause.

chappers
Former Member
Message 188 of 365

I'm afraid I've lost all patience now and cannot believe that you are asking people to disable parts of the AV software to fix this issue. If its safe to keep uninstalling various components, then why are they there in the first place?

I will NOT be uninstalling anything else because after this morning's debacle, I have already dedicated far too much time to something which McAfee should have fixed months ago. I have important clients to look after and cannot afford to spend any more time trying to sort this out, and I'm not prepared to compromise my AV protection.

Again, who do I contact to make a formal complaint please?

Peacekeeper
Message 189 of 365

Re complaints not for me to say only a helper and user like you. Plenty of contacts on their contacts list.

http://home.mcafee.com/Root/AboutUs.aspx

Netguard is not uninstalled only a 30 sec disabling in the firewall options so worth a try. It is only a temp workaround and will not lower your protection to a great extent. A fix for it is coming needs to be QA'd and added to an intended patch. As I said no guarantee it is the cause my xp box had the issue 1 time in past 4 mths so not common .2 family members have mcafee and XP and their PCs are fine as well.

ws65711
Former Member
Message 190 of 365

Strangely, no errors today (Tuesday) even with SiteAdvisor re-installed and after re-enabling Net Guard this morning.  I will keep it in this configuration until an error occurs (or not).

The only difference I can think of between the current situation and my prior situation is that previously I had been running McAfee with Net Guard enabled (but no SiteAdvisor) for quite a while (years) before ever installing SiteAdvisor.  I then installed SiteAdvisor fairly recently, but I'm not exactly sure about the install timing in relation to the onset of the errors in November/December.    The difference in the current situation is that I had disabled Net Guard before reinstalling SiteAdvisor yesterday morning, and therefore SiteAdvisor was already installed when I re-enabled Net Guard this morning.   Should that make a difference?  Probably not . . .

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community