cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lidarose
Former Member
Message 241 of 365

Re: McAfee Service Host Problem

P.S. - FYI,  I'm running McAfee Security Center V. 11.0, Build 11.0.669, Personal Firewall V. 12.0, Build 12.0.351

Lida

Peacekeeper
Message 242 of 365

Allow or block Internet connections
You can change your settings to allow or block Internet connections for your programs.

It does similiar to Siteadvisor The techs say fine to do it for a short time.

user_194237
Former Member
Message 243 of 365

Which feature is causing this problem?  Sit Advisor or Netguard?  Thanx

rpsf
Contributor
Message 244 of 365

Hi Peacekeeper,

Sorry fo the late reply. My affid is 755.

I currently have Site Advisor 3.4.0 and ScriptScan 14.4.1 disabled.

Getting fewer svchost errors but today I had a sync error.

I am just about ready  to take the advice of others  and uninstall those 2 programs to see if this goes away.

where is the latest patch that you are referring to?

Peacekeeper
Message 245 of 365

It is coming as I mentioned I cannot say the exact date as I got burnt doing that previously.

It is soon

mizkelmo
Former Member
Message 246 of 365

I"m new to this forum/group and I'm experiencing the same problems.  I have to admit I'm pretty discouraged.    I am living on very low income right now and sank $50.00 into McAfee Internet Security 2012.  I've had nothing but problems since then.  I get the McAfee Service Host error message as well and then I can't browse anything no matter which browser I use.  My computer is SO slow, it's infuriating and I can't afford to replace this program.   I'm being told I have a virus in the computer which makes me even more angry since I trusted McAfee to protect my computer from viruses.

I'm running Windows XP

It doesn't matter which browser I use, it affects all of them.  (Google chrome, IE, Firefox)

I also have issues with it shutting down Chrome.

I always send in the error reports but I have a feeling that nothing is done with those anyways.

I think I'm done with McAfee. Just not sure if I can afford another antivirus.

Message was edited by: mizkelmo on 08/05/12 6:17:52 CDT PM
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 247 of 365

@mizkelmo :

At least two issues here, maybe three.

First things first. What's the system spec for your machine - what's the CPU, what's the processor speed, how much RAM?  You can hunt for the information in Windows, or get it from Speccy.

You can get some performance improvements by doing the usual things - delete any old and unwanted programs (Java is a prime candidate if you've got it; do you really need Flash/Adobe Reader/Silverlight et al?), run Disk Cleanup, schedule a chkdsk for the next reboot (check the box for Fix System File Errors), run Defrag. Beyond that you need to delve a little further and start disabling unneeded services and browser add-ons.

McSvHost can be instructed to restart automatically whenever it fails - then, it remains annoying but shouldn't mess up your browsing. You need to go into services.msc and call up the Properties for mcsvhost and change the settings.

As to possible infections : McAfee can be beaten, by so-called zero-day exploits. Then it's a case of catch-up. The best thing to do if you suspect something's there that McAfee can't detect is to get a second opinion - run a free scan from Microsoft and Malwarebytes. As you've got XP you can run Windows Defender alongside McAfee (although there's a performance hit at start-up).

Message was edited by: Hayton - change link -  on 09/05/12 00:40:09 IST
jlcavor
Former Member
Message 248 of 365

If you want to avoid all the grief that others have been discussing here for months, I'd suggest you remove McAfee completely. Go to there site for the instructions on how to do this. They also offer a clean up tool to remove any remnants. Then down load Microsoft Essentials from the Microsoft website. The reviews for it are very good and best of all it's free and it updates itself once per day automatically. I say this after being a McAfee customer for years. I have manged to stop the problems for me by removing SiteAdvisor. Unfortunately, for others that does not work .

If this problem is not fix for the rest of the McAfee community I will switch to Microsift Essentials at the end of the year when my subscription comes up for renewal.

Good luck!

user_194237
Former Member
Message 249 of 365

bender.b.rodriguez wrote:

Which feature is causing this problem?  Sit Advisor or Netguard?  Thanx

Hello - any inputs here?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 250 of 365

You'll have to wait for Tony. He's on Australia time, so allow for the timezone difference. It's morning, he could be out.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community