cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 141 of 365

Re: McAfee Service Host Problem

Ok word is if you are having this issue contact support and hit them with oodles of calls that will move this faster.

Also post here how many times a day it happens. and how many hrs a day the PC is used.

Add also PC specs I assume OS is XP sp3

Even if you already contacted them do so again. This will escalate the fix release time hopefully.

ws65711
Former Member
Message 142 of 365

I have a total of about 10 licenses.  All machines are running XP-SP3 Pro.   All machines are infected with this affliction.  The computers are in use approximately 9 hours per day, several hours of that is internet activity.  Some days the error does not occur at all.  Other days I see it 5,6, or 7 times.  I have only seen the error while using internet explorer, not at other times .   This error started for me in late November or early December 2011.  Sometimes the error can just be acknowledged and I can continue as if nothing happened.  Other times I must reboot in order to get internet access to work again.

I am not going to waste my time calling, speaking to someone in a foreign country, who will not understand the problem, and who will tell me "try rebooting" and other such nonsense.   My license come up for renewal in a couple of months.  I will have to decide then if it is time to look elsewhere for virus protection.

Message was edited by: ws65711 on 3/27/12 9:34:00 AM CDT

Message was edited by: ws65711 on 3/27/12 10:28:03 AM CDT
klinker
Former Member
Message 143 of 365

Regarding contacting customer service per Peacekeeper's request above, how should we proceed with the minimum amount of time spent by customers relaying this problem? Customer Service is automatically going to want to have us run MVT then suggest reinstalling McAfee, then remote access, etc. all of which we know won't fix the problem. How do you suggest we get our problems logged with McAfee without actually wasting our time going through all of the steps that Customer Service is going to suggest? Is there a way to contact McAfee to get this problem logged without wasting 1/2 hour, hour or more? If we refuse to go through all of their scripted resolutions (again, which we all know won't work) , will McAfee still log these complaints or will the service rep simply dump these complaints as "customer unwilling to cooperate for assistance---delete"?

I think you get my point, many of us have already tried to work through customer service and we don't want to waste our time trying to get the complaint count higher. Please suggest whatever the easiest, quickest way is to get this complaint count up without wasting our time.

As far as your request for hours per day on the computer, approximately 4 hours with 2-3 McAfee host interruptions during that time. Also, for whatever reason the following website http://www.ontheforecheck.com/ seems to generate a McAfee host problem about 40-50% of the times I go there. It's a legit sports site (Green Siteadvisor, I even know two people who help run it so I know it's a good website), wereas the other service host problems with McAfee are more random in nature.  It's strange that this website in particular can trigger the problem so frequently, but maybe because it's so heavy with links, embedded videos, graphics, etc. that McAfee locks up? I know that I can load this website on another almost identical machine with another brand of AV flawlessly and immediately, but on this machine with McAfee it loads very slowly and I can tell when McAfee service host is going to crash and lockup. If for example I click on an article within the website with a couple of hundred reader comments added on, McAfee will lock up frequently, but the other machine with another AV program will load instantly. Weird....but all tied back to the original problem/timeframe on page one of this thread.

Thanks.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 144 of 365

nickg wrote:

I have been experiencing this exact problem. I have Mcafee Total protection (says internet security when i view the control panel;)

IE8

xp sp3

when the box pops up that says that the service host has experienced a problem, it locks my computer up for a few minutes and then it clears up, but i note that alot of times, the ability to click on stuff (like on ebay especially) is gone or unresponsive.. I can scroll using the mouse and curser on the side bars, and even close or switch windows, but the page that it was on when the host crashed is pretty much locked....I cannot select anything on it it seems(but i can scroll )

Hi nickg,

Big difference between Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional Edition, as well as Windows XP Media Media version of XP.

Windows XP Service Pack 3, is just your Service Pack Level installed.

Perhaps McAfee views the operating system is that matter, which causes the problem as well. Security is difference between Home, Media and Professional. See the XP Matrix on Microsoft Website.

jlcavor
Former Member
Message 145 of 365

I had similar problems and tried a number of the re-works discussed. It would only happened when I was using IE to browse the web. Sometime I got the pop-up a couple of times a day, other times I could go for days without the error. I finally un-installed Site Advisor and the problem went away completely.

nickg
Contributor
Message 146 of 365

I am pretty sure it's xp pro, I will remove the sight adviser tonight

jlcavor
Former Member
Message 147 of 365

For your information my system is XP Pro SP3.

ws65711
Former Member
Message 148 of 365

============

Posted by jlcavor above:

"I had similar problems and tried a number of the re-works discussed. It would only happened when I was using IE to browse the web. Sometime I got the pop-up a couple of times a day, other times I could go for days without the error. I finally un-installed Site Advisor and the problem went away completely."

============

I unistalled Site Advisor from one of my PC's a few minutes ago.   We'll see what happens . . .

Message was edited by: ws65711 on 3/27/12 1:00:59 PM CDT
maneld
Former Member
Message 149 of 365

Hi Pacekeeper and everybody,

As ws65711 and klinker

Sorry, but I am not going to waste my time calling, speaking to someone in a foreign country, who will not understand the problem, and who will tell me "try rebooting" and other such nonsense. 

On line support from Spain is not useful at all.

nickg and jlcavor: I've Home edition, so it seems that Pro or Home is not the matter

Un-installed Site Advisor ? Why, its MaCaffe designed, so it should be compatible with MaCfee sw, doesn'i it?

No matter how many hours the PC is running, error appears randomly, some days without error, some days 5 errors in a short while, no matter if you use Explorer or Chrome-

Any other idea?

regards

jlcavor
Former Member
Message 150 of 365

I hope it works for you. It did for me. Been free of this these random pop-ups for two months since I removed Site-Advisor.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community