cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgilbert
Contributor
Message 81 of 365

Re: McAfee Service Host Problem

I had not heard of alcohol 120% before your post, let alone installed it, but if I can help, I will.

Peacekeeper
Message 82 of 365

OK will pass the offer on to the techs.

I assume you tried the other workarounds

1. No HP printer ie the software that comes with it seems to cause a similar issue.

2. Tried disabling netguard a setting in firewall settings that issue is in QA and being looked at release later on .

Just 2 other causes.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 2/02/12 7:44:36 AM
Dinz
Former Member
Message 83 of 365

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your interest with this regards and please check your mail box  as I have sent you an email so as we could proceed further with log collection . Kindly have the same replied back at the earliest .

Thanks,

puddleducknz
Former Member
Message 84 of 365

Hello,

I have just been browsing trying to find out why this is also happening to me, its making my computer run very slow, and happens multiple times a day. I have tried many things and its been going on for months now.

I don't know what to do.

I have a Dell PC and run XP. It happens in Google Chrome and Firefox.

Its very irritating, I've run the Virtual Technician with no resolve. What else can I do?

hannahb
Former Member
Message 85 of 365

I first reported this host error problem in November 2011; you've had many posts to the same problem by many, many people and still your team has not done a thing about it.  The error continues to be a problem as well as annoying.   I will be terminating my mcafee account if the problem still persists on March 1.

This problem does not exist with another well-known virus protection company that is installed on another machine and is running  Windows Vista.  I  have another machine operating with Windows Vista and it is running McAfee virus protection.  Neither the Windows Vista have a problem with the service host error pop up.   It would seem the common thread among the posts is Windows XP

I have submitted information about my Windows XP system as others have done and the browser information.  All those posting all are getting the error and it does not seem to matter what browser it is. 

I reported to you this issue started when an update came through in November and immediately after the McAfee update was installed, I began having this issue.  I believe many of us have given your team plenty of information  and have "sent" the error reports when the service host problem pops up.

I don't think there's a good excuse by McAfee for the lack of customer service you have shown for your subscribers.  You should at least keep us all posted on any progress.

Peacekeeper
Message 86 of 365

puddleduucknz and hannahb

I assume you are getting thebelow issue

a window pops up which tells me 'McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Have you got alcohol 120% burning software installed or a wireless HP printer. Those and sometimes the netguard program  can cause this, so disable it in the firewall settings and see it that helps.

I am rereading through all the posts re this to sort out a common denominator. ATM XP and Dell standing out but not confirmed yet.

puddleducknz
Former Member
Message 87 of 365

Yup thats the one, everything runs very slowly, 'send error report', then it closes.

Also when it runs a scan its incredibly slow, taking all day on a friday, not sure if this is related, it didn't used to do this in the past.

I've had McAffe for 5yrs and this year I will probably look elsewhere, this is so irritating.

I dont know what Alcohol 120% is, and we do have a HP printer but its not wireless.

Peacekeeper
Message 88 of 365

Hp printer issue is more cpu use oby that program not the error popup.

If you haven't alcohol 120% in your add/remove program forget that idea

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 3/02/12 7:59:59 PM
chappers
Former Member
Message 89 of 365

I am in the same position - I have never heard of Alcohol 120% and don't have a wireless printer, though my wired printer is HP.

This is very frustrating - I am running a business from this PC, and only have McAfee because it's part of the BT Protect package, it's not like I even chose to have this product!

I think we all feel a little neglected as there appears to have been no action and very little feedback.

Peacekeeper
Message 90 of 365

Re the HP have you installed its whole suite of programs? It was mentioned that 1 poster had the issue go away when he only installed the printer driver. I do though feel your issue is the same as teh 20 here for whom the workarounds I suggested do not work. What is nearly certain is all have XP.

A thought also any1 with the issue not using BT supplied software? (probably not the common factor I was after.)

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 9/02/12 3:18:43 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community