cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 31 of 365

Re: McAfee Service Host Problem

Netguard takes web site  and Ip safety info from Trusted source URL and IP lookup info.

Works ok but can block some safe sites so monitor and check before you allow netguard blocked sites access.

ie

http://www.mcafee.com/threat-intelligence/ip/default.aspx?ip=74.54.82.209

Safer with it but ok to run without it otherwise they would not give the option to disable it.

Will be sorted out soon I hope

infinity
Former Member
Message 32 of 365

I too am experiencing these problems, when I am in Internet explorer the same mesage keeps coming up and then closing my browser and it is also making it run frustratingly slow. I am considering cancelling my subscription to Mcafee which I have for 3 of my PCs.

It seems like Mcafee is continuously running all the time even though it is not on real time scan.

Can we please have an update as to whether this has been fixed yet???

Peacekeeper
Message 33 of 365

Does disabling netguard stop this if so do it till they get this fixed.

jpweir
Former Member
Message 34 of 365

Well i'm another person reporting this annoying bug.

I'm getting the message regularly on both an IBM Laptop and a Novatech Desktop PC

The IBM is Intel and the other an AMD PC.

Both are running xp and IE8 but the desktop also runs Firefox and the message occurs on both.

McAfee software is BT NetProtect Plus

John

Peacekeeper
Message 35 of 365

and does disabling netguard stop this that is what i need 1st to be confirmed. If so do so till Mcafee sorts this out please.

mgilbert
Contributor
Message 36 of 365

I disabled Netguard about a week ago and have not had a recurrence. According to MVT, all is well.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 37 of 365

Hi Jpweir,

Can you please post us with a screen shot of the error message that you get. Also, is there a specific instance of when you get it (normally, like going to the internet/ opening any application)

Also, let us know the version of McAfee Security Center and Aff id .

Regards,

hannahb
Former Member
Message 38 of 365

Hello Dinesh K

Noticing all the posts you've received since November, I realize I am not alone with the error message I am receiving and have been since November about the "Mcafee service host. encountered a problem and needs to close" issue. 

I am running Windows XP, using IE Explorer 8, and the message appears just when I am simply reading a page.  It does not occur when the browser is first loaded; but occurs at intermittent times.  The message asks to send the error report to you and I am assuming it does; but don't understand why this problem has not been fixed yet.  Are you even receiving any error messages?   I have not been able to get a screen shot of the error message as of yet.  The following is the information that you requested from Jpweir that I have on my Security center.  I believe this problem either lies in the mcafee personal firewall which received an update on 09 Nov 2011.  Site advisor received its last update on 30 Aug 2011

mcafee security center

version: 11.0

build: 11.0.649

affid: 105

lang:en-us

last update 12-22-2011

I hope this helps your team get this annoying problem fixed. 

Peacekeeper
Message 39 of 365

Not every1 getting this not on any of my family's 9 Pcs so Dinz needs to gather data. It is a lot easier when it can be reproduced by the techs.

jpweir
Former Member
Message 40 of 365

Sorry to take so long getting back Dinesh - Christmas and all that.

The info is:

mcafee security center

version: 11.0

build: 11.0.623

affid: 691

lang:en-gb

last update 04/12/2011

I can't do a screenshot as I haven't seen the message since disabling NetGuard so that's obviously related to the problem.

My experience is basically the same as Hannahb reported, i.e. the message will appear when simply reading a page and doing nothing else.

John

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community