cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoberttheBruce
Former Member
Message 1 of 365

McAfee Service Host Problem

Very often, and usually just after start-up, a window pops up which tells me 'McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. Please tell McAfee about this problem. We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat this as confidentail and anonymous'. I'm then given two options 'Send Error Report' or 'Don't Send'. Could someone please tell me what the hell this is, what it means and how do I get it to stop ?

364 Replies
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 2 of 365

Re: McAfee Service Host Problem

Hi Robert,

Try to run McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT) this is an automated self-healing tool that can diagnose and fix many problems related to your McAfee product.

You can download and run McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT) from mvt.mcafee.com

By the way kindly update us with the following information’s:

McAfee Product: Total Protection / Internet Security, etc..?

Version details of installed McAfee Product:

(Navigation: Open McAfee product > Click About on the top right)

• McAfee Security Center:
  • McAfee Virus Scan:

DAT version:

• McAfee Personal Firewall:

Version details of Browser: Internet Explorer?

RoberttheBruce
Former Member
Message 3 of 365

Thanks for the info.

Windows XP, McAfee Total Protection, I.E.8.

RoberttheBruce
Former Member
Message 4 of 365

Also, this doesn't answer my question. What does this (see original post) mean ?

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 5 of 365

Hello Robert,

It’s just an incompatibility between one of the software that is installed on the PC which in no way compromises the security of the PC. However we are interested in finding out the incompatible software and getting this fixed for you. Please let us know if you are interested in a call back from our team . If yes, please click on my Avatar image and click on Send Private message and send me your concurrence .

Regards,

RoberttheBruce
Former Member
Message 6 of 365

I think it may be UTorrent.

chappers
Former Member
Message 7 of 365

Hi

I have been having the same problem, an error message saying that McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and needs to close. The main impact seems to be that it stops my internet browser from working (I am still connected to the internet, but when I try to open a new page, or refresh an already open page, it just hangs).

I am using a Dell PC, operating Windows XP.

My internet browser is Google Chrome (I tried to open pages in Firefox when it first happened and that was also affected)

My McAfee is through BT NetProtectPlus

Security Center: v11, build 11.0.623, last update 25/11/11

Virus Scan v15, build 15.0.294, last update 01/12/11, DAT version 6546

Personal Firewall v 3.4, build 3.4.0.143, last update 12/09/11

I will try running the MVT as mentioned above, but would love some feedback in the meantime on how to address this!

Many thanks

Cara Chapman

dingdingdingdin
Former Member
Message 8 of 365

Hi

The same thing happens to me (McAfee service host has encountered a problem..).  It mostly happens when I'm using VPN (Ivacy), but also randomly. I read up some on the subject and I reinstalled mcaffe - ran the MCPR.exe to clean everything out. Reinstalled. Still same.

Lastly I tried uninstalling the Mcafee siteadvisor which stopped the error message for a while until it popped up again today.

What bugs me the most is that mcAffee security center lets me now that the the firewall has gone down as well due to this error ... and that's not good (for obvious reasons!

I'm running on XP with firefox 8.0.1 and no siteadvisor:)

Pls check in on it since if it closes the firewall it must be a serious bug...

All the best,

Martin

Dinz
Former Member
Message 9 of 365

Hello Robert/Cara & martin,

As Jai said this might be a software incompatibility issue or has a chance of being the fault of a third party software that triggers this error,  When we had this issue reported some months back, we went ahead with calling back the affected users to collect McAfee related logs but then the thread went silent and no body else reported the issue . So we were kindo f stuck there, please let us know since its impacting our machines ,we would require some volunteers here mostly the affected users to provide us the logs that could be analyzed and take this issue further . 

For all three of you I have sent you with an email from Community forums for the call back process, please have it replied so that we could proceed further and nail this down!!!!

Regards,

mgilbert
Contributor
Message 10 of 365

Hi, I have started experiencing this problem in the last few days. I have Total Protection running on XP SP3, and I use Chrome browser although IE 8 is installed. No other software has recently been installed (but with all the automatic updates we have thrown at us these days who knows what might have triggered this).

In response to the above, I downloaded the MVT and ran it. It found 5 problems (1 registry error and 4 services not running), it fixed 4 of them but claims it cannot start my personal firewall. This is worrying because Security Centre claims it is up and running. What am I to believe?

Feel free to call on me to help resolve this problem. I am retired so can schedule time as necessary. I want this resolved.

Mike

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community