cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Herb
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

McAfee Sales Prompt locks my Win10 machine

The prompt in the image below asks me to renew my McAfee subscription.  I never paid for a McAfee Subscription.  I think a trial version was installed with some Microsoft update.

The screen is locked at this point: Clicking in the tool bar or anywhere else except the two buttons on the prompt (Renew and OK) does nothing.  I can key Ctrl-Alt-Del, and the machine will ask if i really want to shut down, and present a list including running apps and Task Manager.  I can click Task Manager, but when the TM window appears, it is frozen; clicking on it does nothing.

I reboot the machine.  The same McAfee prompt reappears.  I give up, click "OK", the prompt disappears and the machine appears to be normal.

Questions: 1. Is this really a McAfee Prompt?  2. How does it manage to lock down the machine as I described above (and what else has it done to my machine)?  3. How can I make it go away permanently?

McAfee Blue Prompt cmp.jpg

3 Replies
Sudharsanam_G1
Message 2 of 4

Re: McAfee Sales Prompt locks my Win10 machine

Hi @Herb 

We regret for the inconvenience caused. The below popup appears to be from windows. You may close the popup by clicking "ok". Kindly check for any trail version of McAfee program on the control panel -> Add or Remove Programs. Also refer the below article for removing McAfee programs from a PC that runs Windows

How to remove McAfee products from a PC that runs Windows

Regards,
Sudharsanam G

Herb
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Are you saying Microsoft was the source of the design, text and function of that popup?

There is neither a Microsoft logo, nor a Windows logo, on that "popup".  Why would Microsoft warn me of something that would replace its own "Defender" product?  And why would MS lock things up so I have no choice but to click OK (OK what?) or "Restore" the McAfee product?

Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 4

Hi @Herb 

The prompt appears to be coming from windows. Remove McAfee trial if installed and also its data files.. Please follow the steps mentioned in the above article, restart the machine and check issue status. If still persists please update us to assist you further on this.

Thanks,

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community