cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dangerruss
Former Member
Message 1 of 34

McAfee Pop Up - You are downloading: securedownload?

I have AT&T Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee.  I am using IE 9.0 64-bit.  Using AT&T web mail downloading a file I get the Dangerous Download warning message.  Before the download begin, AT&T using Norton says the file is virus free.  The McAfee graphic looks bogus to me.  I fowarded the attachment to another of my email addresses and using Outlook as my mail reader I download the attachment and McAfee reports no issues with the file.

I rebooted in SAFE mode and ran the STINGER program.  No issues found.

Rebooted and did a complete McAfee scan.  No issues found.

Downloaded malwarebytes and ran a scan.  Again no issues found.

The file is not infected, but the McAfee pop up using webmail application says it is...

I did not cut off the graphic... below is exactly how it appears on my screen.

Any idea what I should try next?

Thanks,

Russ

Message was edited by: dangerruss on 1/26/13 9:41:23 PM CST

Message was edited by: dangerruss on 1/26/13 9:42:14 PM CST
33 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 34

Re: McAfee Pop Up - You are downloading: securedownload?

It is merely a warning ("Potentially dangerous.....") and does give you the option to "Download Anyway" so it's leaving the decision to you whether or not to go ahead.  If you trust it then go ahead.

dangerruss
Former Member
Message 3 of 34

This pop up did not use to happen from this trusted source as I recieve a monthly newsletter from these people.  I have gone back to older emails and downloaded those attachements when I knew I did not get the message about unsafe download only to now get the pop up.  Anytime something is different like this happens I suspect some malware has made its way to my computer.  Another oddity was the way the pop up graphically was displayed.  the long chain and the fact that the entire pop up was cut off on the right side...  Just seemed very strange. 

Thanks for your help... your answer was very helpful.

Russ

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 34

Could be that their security centificates need to be updated.  Difficult to say really.  Best to ask them I guess.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 34

Well, it's coming from a legitimate Yahoo mail server which isn't showing as infected by malware. The string in the pop-up window looks very much like a full email header (which would be too long to fit in the window). If the file or message (newsltter, wasn't it?) has already been downloaded the obvious thing to do is to do a McAfee right-click scan for that file only, and back that up with a Malwarebytes scan. False positives do happen, but in such a case I would be cautious.

manthabean
Former Member
Message 6 of 34

I am having a very similar problem.  I have the McAfee Security Suite through AT&T.  Within the last few days, when I try to open any email attachment I get the  "Potentially Dangerous Download Detected" box that pops up.  I am using Firefox 18.0.1 and Windows XP.   I have never had this happen previously.  There was a update to my McAfee software that required me to reboot a few days ago.  It actually seemed to have coincided with that update.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as to how to fix this.  The way it is now, I am not sure if an email attachment is safe or not.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 34

@manthabean - The original poster was using AT&T webmail. How are you accessing your emails?

dangerruss
Former Member
Message 8 of 34

One picture I forgot to post... yahoo mail uses Norton to scan email before downloading.  When I select download attachment, that is when the McAfee popup happens.  the name of the file does not  appear in the McAfee pop up..

Thanks,

Russ

Capture-Mcafee-Norton.JPG

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 34

I wonder if McAfee is trying to scan the attachment before Norton has finished with it? That might trigger some sort of alert in the McAfee code, set a flag or a status code, which gets picked up later and interpreted as a malware warning. Only a hypothesis, but I've seen this sort of thing happen in practice.

manthabean
Former Member
Message 10 of 34

I also have AT&T as my email provider.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community