cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bawdyn
Former Member
Message 1 of 14

McAfee Internet Security - Update Only Definitions or Disable Update Auto Reboot

Hi,

I'm really angry and frustrated with how McAfee Internet Security does its updates. I just lost hours of work because it decided to reboot for an update without warning about an hour after I had selected 'Remind me Later' to the update pop-up.

I know there is an option to disable updates, but the problem with that is there doesn't seem to be any distinction between updates to the virus signatures and updates to the program. What I would like is for the definitions to update automatically, but I want to check for program updates at a time I am ready for a reboot. If that isn't possible, I would like to disable the auto reboot so I don't lose my work again.

Does anyone know if either of these is possible? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

N

13 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 14

Re: McAfee Internet Security - Update Only Definitions or Disable Update Auto Reboot

The only time McAfee should require a 'Reboot' is if there is a (Upgrade) to a newer build. Try leaving on (Automatic)

and set it to wait until your PC is idle before performing any tasks,scans,updates.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 14

Re: McAfee Internet Security - Update Only Definitions or Disable Update Auto Reboot

Capture.JPG

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 14

Genrally speaking McAfee polls for updates every (4) hours. And usually updates the 'Engine Versions' once a day.

Basically setting it to wait till you are idle, should prevent it from updating while you are working. Of course as long as your Computer is on.

I forgot to add...Navigation/General Settings and Alerts/General Settings/ check the box to set it.

Hope this helped

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 14

I've never know the software force an update like that unless you've accidentally clicked the option to allow it to happen in X minutes, or infection was present.  I would check that it wasn't clearing malware...look under Navigation > Quarantined and Trusted Items to see if anything has been caught.  If not then I suggest asking Technical Support why that would happen. Contact Support

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 14

Sorry I meant to say, "....force a reboot like that...."

bawdyn
Former Member
Message 7 of 14

Yes, it did the reboot to install an upgrade that it found during its automatic update process (build 14.0.7080 dated yesterday). It first gave me a pop-up (lower left of the screen just above the system tray) that had buttons for 'Reboot Now' and 'Remind me Later'. I selected 'Remind me Later', but about an hour later the PC rebooted without warning (ie the pop-up did not appear again prior to the reboot). I know it was the updater that did the reboot because I found the entry for the reboot in the Event Viewer that stated it was initiated by mcupdatemgr.exe.

I did have it set as you suggest, Automatic, PC idle.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 14

That's odd.  I haven't seen that in mine when I selected that option, mind you I haven't waited too long to do it.

I would call Support if it happens frequently though.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 14

Hmmmm..Then go into 'Update Settings' and choose your preference.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
bawdyn
Former Member
Message 10 of 14

Ex_Brit wrote:

I've never know the software force an update like that unless you've accidentally clicked the option to allow it to happen in X minutes, or infection was present.  I would check that it wasn't clearing malware...look under Navigation > Quarantined and Trusted Items to see if anything has been caught.  If not then I suggest asking Technical Support why that would happen. Contact Support

I checked and there are no items in any of the lists in 'Quarantined and Trusted Items'.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community