cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toraltamike
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

McAfee Internet Security: Cannot turn off automatic updates or change update settings

SecurityCenter version 14.0, Build 14.0.4113.

Windows 8.1  (latest successful update was KB3081320).  Following windows security updates are failing repeatedly: KB3082089, KB3069114, KB3103688

Product seems to be continually in update, causing a noticeable slowdown in overall performance.  I would like to have it notify me when updates are available and run them after I'm finished working.  When I try to [Turn Off] Automatic Updates or to change the update Options, nothing happens.  Have downloaded McAfee Virtual Technician and run scans but it finds nothing wrong.  Thought I'd try the community first before seeking support.

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: McAfee Internet Security: Cannot turn off automatic updates or change update settings

Make sure you are logged in to Windows as an Administrator and make sure your system clock is accurate both time and date and time-zone.

Also make sure that Windows is up to date, especially Internet Explorer as the interface depends on it being up to date and at default levels.

Those updates that wont install I can't help you with but they may be able to help here:  Windows 8 Forums or don't forget that Microsoft always offers free help for update problems.

When you ran MVT I assume you downloaded it from https://mvt.mcafee.com ?    Try uninstalling it and reinstalling then running it.

toraltamike
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Re: McAfee Internet Security: Cannot turn off automatic updates or change update settings

Thanks for the ideas.  Spent several weeks intermittently and unsuccessfully trying to resolve issues preventing installation of Win8 updates.  Whenever I did have some limited success after extensive digging for solutions, I went back to retry MVT but still couldn't make it work.  I finally gave up and upgraded to Win10 (which was free and relatively painless).  After a few weeks of stabilizing Win10, then uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee Internet Security, I now have a working anti-virus tool where I can reset the update preferences just like it says in the shiny brochure.  Whoopee!!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Glad things are OK now 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community